Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryshoe

Ordered Some Siberian Iris from Joe Pye Weed's Garden

The only SI I have were purchased in pots from a local nursery. They have thrived, but the selection is limited.

I went online and found the above mentioned source. I had no idea there were so many varieties available. I spent appropriately!

Has anyone ever dealt with this source? What should I expect?

Comments (21)

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Oh boy. I ordered from them last year. They are very well know and very well respected hybridizers. That said at least two thirds of the plants I bought from them died. I am used to planting daylilies and could not believe how small the starts of Siberian Iris were. I have since learned that I would have had better luck if I potted them up or ordered in the fall. Any Sibs I order this spring I am going to pot up so they can get established before planting in ground.

They will send about 3 fans maybe more. The fans are really small, small small.

As soon as you get them in the mail, unpack them and soak them immediately and leave overnight.

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

The reviews at D_v_s Garden are really positive. (can't use full name here).

Google: Joe Pye Weed's Garden Review, and choose "the scoop on...." link.

I've only ordered for fall shipment from Aitkens since they're here on the west coast and received vy lg divisions. They require a fair amount of water their first year.

I would expect spring foliage to be just beginning, therefore small. But there should be a decent root mass.

Rita, did you contact them about replacements?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

Years ago, I was told to plant the sibs in a pot, and stick the pot in water for a few weeks to help them get established. I haven't lost any doing that, though some have taken forever to do anything.

• mshadow
    14 years ago

I ordered from Joe Pye Weed last spring for the first time and was very, very happy with the plants I received. They were a nice size and had a huge root system on them. Would definitely order from them again. Three fans are what most companies send, and they are trimmed. They do need to be watered a lot after planting in order for them to establish their root system.

Shadow

• PollyNY
    14 years ago

Joe Pye Weeds Gardens are the most wonderful hybridizers of siberian irises, in my opinion, and are really great people. Their irises are sent as the standard for mail order, 3-5 fans.

When you plant them, mulch them and keep them well watered (and that may be daily if it gets warm), they should do very well for you.

Recently some people have had trouble establishing siberians. I have a theory, and John Coble at Ensata also has one. My theory is that if you're buying siberians in the spring to buy them from someplace colder than where you are. Where they are at in the growth cycle when you plant them might be the cause of the setback. I think going from a warmer climate to a colder one in the spring might set them back and cause problems. The answer to this would be to buy in the fall from someplace that is in a warmer area than you.

John Coble thinks the problem might be the change in acidity from one soil to another, and he suggests you pot the siberians until fall, if you buy them in the spring, and that will give the sibs time to grow into the pot dirt, and then plant all the pot dirt into the ground.

So, consider potting them that way after you get them, or buying them in the fall, or if you plant them directly in the ground mulch and water very well.

But Joe Pye Weeds is an excellent source for siberian irises. No question about that from their ratings. I'm a grower, and I buy quite a few from them every year.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am glad that Joe Pye Weed's Garden is a reputable source.

I am very surprised that no one is pressuring me for a list of the plants ordered. On some forums, not including the list is considered a crime.

Siberian Iris on order:

Dance Party
    Cape Cod Boys
    Dawn Waltz
    Roaring Jelly
    Summer Revels
    Worth The Wait

Most of these were reported to repeat. Has anyone had experience with an of these?

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

The Siberians I bought from Joe Pie Weeds were the first I had ever tried mail order. I was just surprised at how small they are. They do send excellent healthy plants and have an exception reputation. I am going to pot up any Sibs I mail order this spring and I feel that should work out much better.

Harry, of course we wanted to see the list of what you ordered. You bet we will be wanting to see pictures of the flowers when they bloom.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Here is another great place to order both Siberian and Japanese Iris-

Here is a link that might be useful: Ensada

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

There is even a Siberian Iris Society Website-

Here is a link that might be useful: Siberian Iris Society

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

I just looked at their website, and I don't know how you narrowed it down to those! Beautiful!

Deanna

Original Author
    14 years ago

Deanna,
    Most of the choices included some speculation of rebloom or at least, a long bloom period.

Dance Party was simply based on the picture. Pure impulse instead of actual thought. It looks to have both blue and purple on the same bloom...these colors are often my downfall.

• york_rose
    13 years ago

My sister is an iris fiend, but I haven't yet quite seduced her into trying Siberian iris. ;)

(Some day........)

Once, years ago, my regular job duties required my paying these folks a visit. I found them to be quite pleasant to interact with. I haven't ever ordered anything from them, but I always drool when I visit their website. I am certain that once I have the funds to purchase something from them that I will do so.

(In my opinion, Siberian iris are better than Bearded iris. The flowers are perhaps not quite as drop-dead beautiful, but they are still stunning, and when they aren't in flower the plants are much nicer to look at!)

Original Author
    13 years ago

And don't forget: they grow well with roses, enjoying similar conditions.

Original Author
    13 years ago

The snow is finally starting to melt. I'm getting excited about my SI purchases from last year. Did they survive their first winter?

Some were planted directly in the ground. Some overwintered in pots covered in shredded leaves against the south wall of the house.

Growth last summer was varied and not helped by the drought conditions. One actually bloomed, but I pinched it off immediately. I think I'll be happy with a 50% survival rate. Very curious to see SI that aren't dark blue or purple.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Me too, Harry.
    Renee

Original Author
    13 years ago

Today was a nice warm, sunny day which required a trip into the garden. The snow is finally gone and I had no excuse not to clean out some beds and inspect my plantings.

I am very happy to report that all of my Siberian Iris have signs of life including all of last spring's purchases from Joe Pye Weed's Garden. I was worried that these small plants would have problems making it through the winter. The 10 weeks of snow cover probably helped.

Just a few weeks to spring and retirement!

• beverlymnz4
    7 years ago

I am ordering from Joe Pye Weed this spring. Any follow-up comments?

• beverlymnz4
    7 years ago

Thanks Harryshoe. I will give Dance Party another look. I have my eye on one of those reddish ones, maybe Miss Apple, and I'm going to add a light colored one and a purple as well.

• vettin
    7 years ago

How long does the foliage last?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Vettin, in my northern New England garden, the foliage is a nice presence all season, staying fresh and green until cold fall weather turns it gold.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz