Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Please help ID champagne colored iris

gottagarden
12 years ago

Hi all!

Weather is warm and I'm dividing some overcrowded iris. Here's one patch where they are growing on top of each other and I was wondering if anyone knew what the name was?

Very unusual color, not quite yellow, not quite apricot, more of a champagne.

From Plant Trades

From Iris in the Garden

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (11)

• aquawise
    12 years ago

Could be Barbra my Love! There a a lot that look like that.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Blondies. Sorry, no name this time. You should frame the photo, though.
    Renee

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

looked at Barbra my love, very very similar, except that online photos show Barbra as being a couple shades darker. thanks for trying.

I wish there was an encyclopedic web site where you could type in the color of standards, falls, beards, edging etc. and up would come selections with photos.

Of course, I ALWAYS keep tags now, I just didn't when I started out.

• aquawise
    12 years ago

there is another one called Fashon desener that look like that as well. ?spelling?

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Goody, a project to work on tonight. Can you estimate its age (or how long you've had it?
    I think Fashion Designer has lt. yellow standards and wider falls.

• aquawise
    12 years ago

Thanks iris_gal! I am ready for the Iris whenever you want to send them.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Some day the AIS wiki will have the features you mention, Gottagarden. I think you can search for irises on the basis of color now- I have not checked. Here's the site if you want to play with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: AIS Twiki

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've looked at Fashion Designer and it is very very similar. Only mine seems to have a very narrow edging of color, while Fashion Designer seems to have most of the fall being colored, with a large center white blotch.

Or am I being too picky?

thanks for your help in looking.

Renee, I'll be checking out the AIS twiki site, thanks.

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Gottagarden ~~ you're not being too picky!

I'm stumped. I know champagne can photograph as pink or yellow so I looked at beard width too since this one looks 'fat'. Closest I saw was POETIC (Ghio'92) at tdirisgarden. It looks yellow at Snowpeak but its description is coral. Beard is not as fat.

HEATHER JOEL's falls at BlueJ have more of a pronounced rim and I can't see the beard color.

I'm not certain of either of these for an ID. Sorry. Hope you can get more pictures, a side view too.

Aquawise ~~ lookes like we are going to have much welcomed rain tonight so will dig in a couple of days :-)

• aquawise
    12 years ago

There is one called Amber amulet by Kerr 1999. looks close!
    iris-gal sounds great! Thanks

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys! Forgot to say I've had it about 8 years. I've looked them all up, and it's very close to Amber Amulet and Poetic. On Amber Amulet the rim around the falls seems to be a bit fatter and more pronounced than mine. I'm pretty sure it's Poetic, seems to match on all counts.

Heather Joel's is also quite similar, but a bit too dark for what I have.

Thanks also for pointing me to BlueJ's iris, never saw that site before, I think it's pretty dangerous to have all those beauties at such low prices - wow!

I appreciate all your time in helping me id this iris, I'll take more photos this year, but I'm happy with the Poetic tag, it really looks like that one.

THANKS!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors