Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing iris in the spring

Posted by bean_counter_z4 Zone 4, Rkfd,IL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 10:02

We have a fund raising plant sale May 8. I'd like to dig and donate a lot of tall bearded iris. Will bare root iris transplant well at that time of year? I don't want to see anyone get plants that aren't in prime condition.

On the same subject what about Siberian iris? Should they be potted up now for the sale?
BC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing iris in the spring

Siberian do fine dug, divided and potted now. Bearded iris are very different beasts. While I don't expect you would kill them by dividing and barerooting them, they do better potted.

BTW, if your plant sale is anything like mine, it's almost impossible to sell mystery iris. NOIDs are fine to long as they are blooming, or come with a description.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here