Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Icky things in the rhizomes

Posted by remontant z6B TN (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 10:16

Hello all. I was doing some early-spring cleaning up/weeding in the beds yesterday and I found one old "mama" rhizome hollowed-out and full of icky grub-like things. I put some diatomatious (sp?) earth on it, then found another with the same problem. We're about 4-6 weeks out from bloom time here, and about three weeks to the offical last frost date. Should I dig up all the iris "babies" in this area and replant elsewhere, or leave them in place and transplant after bloom time? Also, what would be best to plant where the old ones were? Zinnias?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Icky things in the rhizomes

Sounds like they eating the old dead iris rhizome and not the healthy newer ones. Harmless? Maybe.

If all the rhizomes are hard I wouldn't relocate them. If the critters are damaging existing healthy rhizomes they will become soft as infection sets in. I'd keep a close eye on what's going on.

If I decided to move them I'd do it soon after bloom. As to what to plant in that area -- your choice!

o

They maybe iris borers?

o

Thanks Iris_Gal and Kousa for your opinions and ideas. I didn't think borers were supposed to be active this early in the season, but something sure is munching on them. I'll keep the DE at hand and then do the transplanting after bloom. Never a dull day in the garden, is there? :-)

o

I would remove the hollowed out rhizomes that are hosting ickky things, because the ickies will only mature & lay eggs & then all the younger irises will be full of the next generation. And I would put the removed ones in a plastic bag in the trash, not the compost.

They sound like iris borers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here