Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas10gal

Purple TB iris

texas10gal
14 years ago

The past few years I have been buying all colors of iris from local garden centers but selection is poor and would like to concentrate this year on one color. I've decided to grow a bed of dark purple and order them on-line to get better plants. The taller the better and a good multiplier. What are the names of some you suggest and where should I get them? Thanks

Comments (10)

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Hi Texas10gal, a few questions to help narrow it down:

Do you want rebloomers, really fancy ruffles, or just tall? And do you like the black purples, the bluer shades, or the redder shades? Do you like the purple and white plicatas?

When you order online they send you just the rhizomes, and they don't come until July/August. That means you have to wait a season for flowers. Just so you know.

A favorite purple around this forum is Dusky Challenger, 39". It was the winner of many awards.

Another popular purply-blue is Paul Black. It's very bright. So is Superstition, which is more violet-red.

Pagan Dance and Violet Turner are gorgeous reblooming irises.

My favorite is a plicata I believe is called Classic Look:
    {{gwi:503062}}

It shows up so well in the garden, and it is tall.
    Renee

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

You need an online site that has color catagories. There are a few but one I like is bluejiris.com

Not only are their prices excellent but they give awards won. When an Award of Merit (AM) is awarded you know the judges thought it to be top notch. Also included is a color description - some colors don't photograph accurately.

Choose A-Z Catalog and then the color catagories boxes appear.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bluejiris.com/

• chary_68
    14 years ago

I have a ton of the below iris growing rampant in my yard. I'd be happy to send you some fans if you like them.

If you're interested email me at eph.4.16@live.com

• nzirishunter
    14 years ago

Hi Texas10gal

Keith Keppels 'Local Color' is a excellent Iris for form, colour, and increase and is Purple plus!!!. Its up on the front page of Heritage Irises now just scroll down a few posts and it will be there. Click on the photo for larger image.
    Growing Local Color in your garden will not disappoint

Here is a link that might be useful: HERITAGE IRISES

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Just passing through...those pictures are gorgeous! Can't wait for mine to bloom this year.

• mooseling
    14 years ago

I was going to suggest Local Color too. Romantic Evening is another favorite of my dark purples. It looks fairly similar to Local Color, but the falls are a bit darker. Visiting Royalty is another one I grow, and Wild Wings as well, although I'll be selling all of my Wild Wings this year - the three others I've mentioned have a similar color and larger flowers, and I hate the name Wild Wings. The last purple I have to recommend is Baltic Star, which is probably my favorite of all the purples.

• gmason
    14 years ago

What about Dusky Challenger and Titan's Glory? Both tall and stately.

• random_harvest
    14 years ago

No purple bed in Texas would be complete without the commanding presence of historic (1938) William A. Setchell. It can be spotted thriving on its own in neglected yards in the older parts of Dallas.

Are you anywhere close to the DFW area? Argyle Acres in Argyle will be having its open house soon where you can see for yourself what does well here, and I recommend them as sellers.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

William A Setchell is *glorious*:

it is indeed "commanding".

Get it get it get it!

• ashes_of_the_fire
    14 years ago

my favorite purple is lavender, i have I. Pallida and i can't say enough, it never fails and it smells so wonderful, the best (and most prevalent) iris in my garden, that aside, the best dark purple i've seen is Daughter of Stars. I suggest Wild Iris Rows. his catalogue is colour coded and though not all plants have pictures, alot do, there are alot to choose from!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Iris Rows

Sponsored