Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Dig Bulbs

Posted by desertdance Sunset 13 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 5, 09 at 10:45

Hello!

I'm very new to Iris growing. 3 of my Dutch Iris have bloomed. The others don't have buds yet. I'm pretty sure you get one bloom per plant, correct?

When do I dig the bulbs up? Do I just leave them in the ground and they multiply? Do I ever dig them up?

We never get snow. Get frost now and then. It's mostly warm here, and blistering hot in the summer. Southern California, Palm Springs area.

I appreciate your help on this!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Dig Bulbs

I love my Dutch iris and I leave them in the ground to multiply. If you want to divide allow the foliage to turn yellow before digging - exactly like other spring bulbs.

Sunset zone 13 is safe for wintering. Wouldn't want them in moist soil during summer.

o

Thanks iris gal! Hmmmm. Our soil is always moist. The HOA (homeowner's association) keeps the sprinklers going night and day. Golf course. Soooooooo, should I dig them up when they turn yellow and keep them in some dry soil in the summer? I'd love it if they multiply!

o

Hmmmm..........I notice your name and if you have very sandy, fast draining soil they may be ok during summer. But........if you're in doubt, dig them after foliage ripens and store in a cool dark place until Sept. Or you could place them on top of the soil, covered with sand.

The problem with damp soil during the warm dormant time is rot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here