Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

It will not be long now..

lovelyiris
15 years ago

I've been walking around the beds and much to my surprise things are starting to jump up. I have the old fashion purple, yellow, and white irises blooming right now.

Some of my tall bearded irises are beginning to send up a few bloom stalks. I just hope that we don't have another freeze anytime soon.

My daffodils and other bulbs were so beautiful this year. Unfortunately they have just about finished blooming for now. The dogwoods will be blooming in a few weeks here. I have RED, PINK, and a lot of WHITE ones all along the creekbeds. Oh how I'm looking forward to seeing a rainbow of color in the iris beds followed close behind with all the daylilies, brugmansia, and cannas.

I will be walking all the beds several times a day now so I will not miss anything that might be blooming a little early. (grin)

Does anyone else have SPRING FEVER as bad as I do???

Happy Gardening and Day Dreaming of how wonderful our flowerbeds and gardens are going to look this year.

Marian

Comments (6)

• woodhawk
    15 years ago

Marian;

Don't wear your self out looking for blooms they will be there soon. We have had a cold front come through here with light frost the last couple of days still have half a dozen plant with new stalks up but no blooms. Spring fever for sure.

Ted

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ted,
    Oh shoot I've already worn myself out with all these beds. We had a very much needed shower last week and then all the weeds and plants went CRAZY.

I thought I had everything in control only to find the weeds got a head start on me again. (frown) Yesterday I hoed weeds all day. Trying to be careful and not get any of my old fashion or ANTIQUE POPPIES that are coming up.

I'm still not 100% finished with the pond I've been working on and I'm certainly no where near being finished with the iris bed up on the hill. (grin)

Now I was told I need to check on my daylilies and see if I have any scapes on them yet. Shoot, I just started growing them about 1 1/2 years ago and last year was the first time they bloomed. Best I can recall they bloomed after my irises were finished so I haven't even really looked at them to see if they had any blooms or scapes.

If I recall correctly one of the irises you sent me has a bloom stalk on it. (grin)

I'll take pictures and share with you when everything is in bloom and I take them.

Day Dreaming about Spring and being surrounded by blooms.
    Marian

Spring is just around the bend for sure.

• Nancy
    15 years ago

Shame I didn't check my computer yesterday. At least my envious green color would have worked with Saint Patty's Day. The only iris I have in bloom are the minis, but my bearded iris are starting to come up nicely. We've had some beautiful weather the last few days, & things are really perking here. At least I have tons of daffs in bloom!

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Nancy my daffodils were the best they've ever been this year. Of course as soon as they were all in full bloom I had to go dig a bunch more from the neighbors pasture and plant them in other locations here and there. Of course I found about 5 or 6 more trees to ring with about 5-600 daffs. I just love seeing all the huge trees surrounded with them. Hmmmmmmm Hmmmmmm. Beautiful.

You and I still need to do a trade this summer so don't forget me.

I just came in from working in the beds all day. I have a good many irises with bloom stalks fixing to open. Of course it will still be about 2 or 3 weeks until were in full bloom here. (Big fat grin) I can't wait.

Today I got some of those old fashion purple petunias that come back every year from another neighbor. Tucked some of them in all over the place. Of course they are invasive and will reseed EVERYWHERE the wind blows. Since everything around here is a flowerbed I don't mind. LOL If they get too thick I'll just pull them and give them away or toss them out in the back pasture somewhere and let them grown down there too.

I'm looking for someone to get some starts of Siberian, Japanese, or La. Irises. Didn't you tell me last year you have a couple? I don't really have any dwarf or intermediates to speak of. Might have to get some of them from you too. LOL

Well this is getting long,
    Happy Gardening everyone and may your iris beds be full of blooms soon.
    Marian

• Nancy
    15 years ago

Marian, I have Blue Caesar & Butter & Sugar Siberian iris. I have a few different SDW bearded iris, I just started getting into the shorter bearded iris. I also have some of the Dutch iris around too.

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do you think I can get a start of those two Siberians? I don't know if your SDW's have multiplied enough to get some of them from you.

Like I said, we do need to work up an Iris trade this year. Get back with me and we will figure out something that each of us will enjoy.

Happy Gardening,
    Marian

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022