Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas10gal

graveyard iris

texas10gal
14 years ago

My grandmother grew iris and I's like to plant some as a rememberance at her grave. What varieties of bearded iris do you suggest planting, semi shady/sandy soil, that will look good and remain for many years?

Comments (5)

• bookwizards

One cemetery I visit south of Arlington Lake has many Iris and has been around a while with some markers from the 1920's the Iris have spread a lot but are concentrated in some family areas the whites are common but so are the old purples and while I am not 100% I think there might be some Indian Chief in one area. It is fairly well wooded with a lot of oaks and the Iris do seem to bloom fairly well. Some family plots have curbs and the Iris are thickest around the curbs.

It is kept mowed but the Iris in large groups are left alone I doubt anyone has divided them since WW II. There are Iris just about everywhere even scattered in the mowed areas. The cemetery is kept locked but those that know can find a narrow entrance behind the brick gate. I have never seen another person and it is seldom used for new burials.

I also see a few in most cemeteries in east Texas but they are scattered and not in large clumps. Perhaps people occasionally take a rememberance when they visit.

On our old home place near Athens, Texas the whites do well with no care and there are purples that seem to be fewer and do not bloom as well as the whites. These have naturalized to spots under trees. Probably with some help from my mother who lived there as a child and returned to retire there and probably relocated some of these which she said came with the family by waggon from Georgia to Alabama and then to Mississippi before they were brought by her grandmother to Texas.

So while many would do fine with some care for ones that are truly tough the old whites and purples own the cemeteries.

Bill

• bookwizards

One cemetery I visit south of Arlington Lake has many Iris and has been around a while with some markers from the 1920's the Iris have spread a lot but are concentrated in some family areas the whites are common but so are the old purples and while I am not 100% I think there might be some Indian Chief in one area. It is fairly well wooded with a lot of oaks and the Iris do seem to bloom fairly well. Some family plots have curbs and the Iris are thickest around the curbs.

It is kept mowed but the Iris in large groups are left alone I doubt anyone has divided them since WW II. There are Iris just about everywhere even scattered in the mowed areas. The cemetery is kept locked but those that know can find a narrow entrance behind the brick gate. I have never seen another person and it is seldom used for new burials.

I also see a few in most cemeteries in east Texas but they are scattered and not in large clumps. Perhaps people occasionally take a rememberance when they visit.

On our old home place near Athens, Texas the whites do well with no care and there are purples that seem to be fewer and do not bloom as well as the whites. These have naturalized to spots under trees. Probably with some help from my mother who lived there as a child and returned to retire there and probably relocated some of these which she said came with the family by waggon from Georgia to Alabama and then to Mississippi before they were brought by her grandmother to Texas.

So while many would do fine with some care for ones that are truly tough the old whites and purples own the cemeteries.

Bill

• bookwizards

Bill

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Texas10gal,
    That's a really sweet and lovely thing to do.

Tall bearded iris need quite a bit of sun to bloom; does the grave get six hours of sun a day?

Almost any variety will remain for many years, but all tall bearded irises should be divided every three to four years to maintain their health and to promote blooms.

What was your grandmother's favorite color? What color irises did she grow? Perhaps you could plant a historic variety, similar to the ones she grew. I like Dogrose.

Renee

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

The historic iris albicans is also called the white cemetery iris because it grows & multiplies & blooms with no care whatever.

You can also post on the Texas Forum, with your general area, & get some good ideas for other varieties.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus