Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Albino iris

Posted by marilyn222 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 12:12

I have planted 60 iris seeds and one has come up with entirely white leaves and looks like an albino. I have had day lily albino seedlings, looked it up and found that they do not have the ability to make food and die eventually and
all 4 of them did die. I have tried to look up albino iris but have found no information. The seed came from High Master X Samurai Warrior. Does anyone have any information or experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Albino iris

it happens in the hosta seed world ...

we call them terminal whites ... though google doesnt support that term ...

as you note.. no chlorophyll to live ...

its like as soon as they use up the seed energy.. thats it ... [great english there.. lol]

a genetic mutant ....

ken

o

thanks for the info, disappointing as it is. I have decided to
keep it, fertilize it and watch it to see what happens. If I give it enough fertilizer couldn't the roots take it up and feed the plant? It is growing as fast as the green seedlings.

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 11:57

This happens fairly often, they are living off the food in the seed itself. Then it will wither.

If you get one with streaks of green you have a chance...

This is just one obvious (visible) result of inbreeding, so you can imagine what other traits (positive - rare, negative - common) the seedlings have that are not obvious at first. That's why line breeding is such a challenge. The Luminata's in particular are extremely inbred.

Chad

o

Thanks Chad for the info. So far my albino has no green streaks so it looks like it does not have a chance.

Marilyn

o

There has been a few cases of albino plants actually surviving by becoming a parasites! It's most famous in the cases of Albino Redwood Trees in California. These albino trees have found a way to survive by grafting their own roots to those of a normal pigmented tree and absorbing nutrients from its neighbor.

Maybe planting a few normal colored iris sprouts by your albino one will give it a chance if your up for it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Albino Redwoods

o

Mariah.B, I was already thinking of posting about the redwoods before I got down to your post. My grandfather had a little slip of land in the Santa Cruz Mountains. He built a little shack on/between a couple of redwood stumps where he could write without disturbance. I'm not sure if the albino redwood fronds were there before, or if the extra shade supported their creation, but I understood that he would take Stanford botony students up there in the 1920's. They were still growing well in the '50s when I first saw them, and began to show many signs of browning edges in the 90's long after the shack had fallen down. The plants had a waxy feel. As far as I know, they are still there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here