Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forgot Where I Put Em

Posted by desertdance Sunset 13 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 12:42

I got a package of old dried up looking bearded Iris bulbs at Walmart in Nov.

I put them in the ground, and lost all hope for them. Those bulbs looked dead!

However, a month ago, the familiar leaves appeared in one spot, but I couldnt locate the rest... Until today! They came up in some petunias and were just hidden.

I'm very pleased, and can't wait till they bloom. It will be fun to see what colors they turn out to be.
Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forgot Where I Put Em

It is amazing, isn't it! A few years ago in July I dug some up to make room to plant new ones, threw them in a pile out in the full sun. In early September that year felt so guilty that I re-planted them all, and they are doing just fine!

o
RE: Forgot Where I Put Em

I think iris rhizomes are some of the most forgiving plants there are. Even when abused, they will often forgive us.

I planted several rhizomes (too) late last fall, and they ended up heaving out of the ground something awful with the many winter freezes and thaws. The bigger part of the rhizome on some is mush, but the babies off to the sides are hanging in there with a little new growth. I need to tend to those babies, cutting away the bad part and resetting the babies in a new area where I better babysit them.

It's good to hear yours survived.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here