Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Part 2: More beautiful iris and companions * many photos*

gottagarden
13 years ago

More pretty pictures

iris "Gypsy Romance" - my favorite. this is not photoshop, colors are really that brilliant

{{gwi:644417}}From Iris 2010
{{gwi:644418}}From Iris 2010

{{gwi:644419}}From Iris 2010

Got the blues . . .

{{gwi:644420}}From Iris 2010
{{gwi:644422}}From Iris 2010

Samurai Warrior and blooms of 'ravenswin​g' cow parsley

{{gwi:644423}}From Iris 2008

iris samurai warrior in front of red barberry

{{gwi:644424}}From Iris 2010

baptisia australis(​wild blue indigo) makes a great foil for this particular iris - late and tall

{{gwi:644425}}From Iris 2010
{{gwi:644427}}From Iris 2010

iris Dover Beach - photo is inadequate to how gorgeous these were, and long blooming too.

{{gwi:644428}}From Iris 2010
{{gwi:644429}}From Iris 2010
{{gwi:644430}}From Iris 2008
{{gwi:644431}}From Iris 2008

prettiest flower of all (and look at the size of those blooms!)

{{gwi:644432}}From Iris 2008

BTW - I'm cross posting to cottage garden forum.

Comments (35)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You did it again!

Absolutely breathtaking!

I'm quitting gardening today because I know there is no hope I can ever approach the standards you have established.

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Gorgeous photos! I have Gypsy Romance too & just love it. Wonderful brilliant color. I have Dover Beach too, this will be its 3rd year & it had better bloom this year. The last pic is especially adorable.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

My goodness. Your iris are yummo!!! I can see why Gypsy Romance is your favorite, its STUNNING. I really need to start trying to grow bearded iris. I love to mulch my beds and I know its not good to cover them up with mulch but I do have some spots that I don't mulch so I may just add some in those spots. Your sweet little daughter is just precious. Such a cutie!!! Do you order yours off the internet and if so where? Thanks a a bunch, Judy

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

Lovin' this! Thanks for posting.

• annainva
    13 years ago

Just unbelievably beautiful. I can just imagine the time it must take to maintain such a gorgeous garden.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments.

I got most of my iris from iris farms. They have literally hundreds of different kinds of iris, and I got to walk up and down the rows and pick out my favorites. I also got some from local nurseries and trading.

Harryshoe, no reason to quit, it's not a competition. If it were, I'd have had to quit years ago because there are some real garden gurus out here that impossible to approach.

I need to divide this year, they are all getting so crowded.

• ingwe4
    13 years ago

Your irises (and your photos) are absolutely gorgeous. I would love to have the name of all of them............

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I'm like Ingwe4. Would love the names especially in the bottom 3 photos. The last picture is a real treasure!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Those are so stunning! Your photos are gorgeous! I have to have Gypsy Romance now it is so gorgeous...and what a beautiful job you have done with the combinations. Thank you for sharing.
    kay

• PollyNY
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful gardens! Obviously a lot of work put into them. Especially the blonde plant!

Can you please tell me what nepeta you have with Dover Beach? What a match! As soon as I find out I will be ordering Dover Beach.

• mikesc
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Thanks for posting--I ENVY the room you have to garden. Perhaps one day.....

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's nepeta Walker's Low with the Dover Beach. DB is one of my latest tall bearded iris to bloom, so it does well with Walker's Low, which is about a week too late to bloom for my early tall bearded. Contrary to it's name, Walker's Low is NOT a low growing plant, but quite tall and floppy, so I grow it behind the iris and let them flop through the spiky foliage.

My generic nepeta is a small plant and does grow low to the ground. It blooms a few weeks earlier than Walker's, so it's the better companion for the early tall beardeds. Notice here how it makes a nice edge in FRONT of them.

From Iris 2010

Mikesc - For years I lived in condos, and my garden was a 20 x 20 plot that I rented from the local community garden center. That little plot kept me sane because I needed my hands in the dirt. So keep dreaming, my dream for a huge property came true.

• PollyNY
    13 years ago

Thank you so much.

You combos are just amazing. You have the 'eye'.

• mikesc
    13 years ago

What is the pink iris, third from bottom photograph? They're all stunning!

Mike

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

What's the name of the iris planted with the wild blue indigo? Is it Yaquina Blue? if it is, then i'm so glad that i bought it last year!

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The light pink iris is either Beverly Sills or Pink Horizon. I have the tags for both, but they are no longer attached to plants. The bicolored pink is Camelot Rose.

I have lots of blues and I'm pretty sure Shipshape is planted with the wild blue indigo. ( but tags have gotten mixed, so not 100% sure) It is one of the tallest and latest to bloom of my tall bearded.

• Ladyamor
    13 years ago

Love all this photos!!! You really have the master touch.
    I never forget the first time I see an Iris in Utah. After that I plant few of them and was great.
    I move to Florida and now here I can't have them... I try many times, and no luck.
    I hope that one day I can have just few of the beauties that you show here.

• vegangirl
    13 years ago

Those are surely the most beautiful iris photos I've ever seen!

Can you share with us how you maintain those beds so well? Do you have a "work schedule" that you follow?

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm a big believer in low maintenance. I weed and mulch with aged horse manure in the spring, then cut back when I can. If you feed the soil (with manure or compost) then the healthy soil takes care of everything else.

• natalie4b
    13 years ago

Brenda, what is the almost black iris on a second photo?
    You garden is stunning! You know, you were my inspiration to grow iris in a fist place when I saw your pictures while back.
    This weekend I will be visiting an iris farm and rewarding myself with some gorgeous plants. Can hardly wait!
    Thank you for posting photos - truly an eye candy and inspiration to look at and dream.
    ~Natalie

• vegangirl
    13 years ago

Gottagarden, thanks for the tips! It sure looks like you spend hours and hours on those beds! I've never had much luck with bearded iris but recently found by soil testing, that my pH is around 4.9 so I've been spreading lime around!

• sunnyjay
    13 years ago

Wow! Your gardens are spectacular! You could have tours and charge admission! Really, REALLY beautiful!

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous garden! I love it! Thanks for sharing with us.

• gardenofeden777
    12 years ago

Wow, just had to bump this the photos are spectacular! Wonderful job you've done. I've read multiple times NOT to put manure in Iris beds. Wow, I'm glad I stumbled upon this. In the Iris beds the manure goes! Thanks! Rena'

• mrtoad
    12 years ago

beautiful - love the iris samurai warrior

thanks for sharing

mr toad

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Time to look at Gottagarden's irises again.
    Renee

• lizzslilies
    10 years ago

What is that black looking one in the 2nd photo?

• terrene
    10 years ago

Wow, I love that Gypsy Romance and Dover Beach. Gorgeous!

• steelskies
    10 years ago

Absolutely stunning pictures of your beds. How in the world did you do that? All those beds and flowers. I am so envious! The picture of your little girl dancing in the flowers would win lst prize in any photo contest. Love the ice storm pictures too. You truly have a gift. Thanks so much for sharing those photos with us.

What kind of plant markers do you use? My markers always either fade, get lost, blow away, or break off. So most of my iris I have no idea of their names anymore.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

for plant markers, I use a sharpie PAINT PEN (not marker) to label window blinds, then the tag is stuck deep in the ground. I usually write the name on top and bottom of tag. The part underground will not fade, the part above ground will.

• steelskies
    10 years ago

I used window blinds but they seem to break off. Maybe I'm using the wrong blinds! I bought 3 of those paint pens and I can't make them work. They must be too old?

Your gardens are so remarkable I can't stop looking at your pictures. Can I get your email? mine is: steelskies@yahoo.com. I see you have horses. I have many too. Beteween gardening and the horses, not much time for anything else......... BTW, the composted horse manure is THE BEST.

• posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago

Bumpity bumping this for those waiting for Iris blooms.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness! Inspiring and beautiful and incredible... what an eye you have! Thank you posierosie for bumping this post!

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    5 years ago

Thanks for the bump. I definitely have the winter blues. These photos sure do help. I am really liking the alphabet threads as well! Can't wait for iris season!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County