Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie Need help

Posted by valtorrez MO (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 13:33

Last spring was my first spring in my home and I spent most of the spring/summer cleaning out already established flower bed. Once I was able to get everything cleaned out I found around 10 iris buds. I think they must be Siberian because the buds look like long potatoes sticking out of the ground. A lot of them had green folliage however I do not remember ever seeing flowers come out. Could the problem be that they are all under a tree and the foliage grows but not a flower? What can I do to make flowers come? Should I dig them up and plant somewhere else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie Need help

My inclination is to leave them alone until May or June. By then the foliage will be of help in identifying.

Relocating at this time and having late freezes hit could do harm. Are your freezes over?

Pictures would be helpful. Possibly neighbors have seen them in bloom? Another idea is to dig up one and take to a knowledgeable plant person. Or perhaps replant that portion in full sun.

When I had Siberian I don't recall them looking like long potatoes sticking out of the ground. Potato makes me think of beardeds' rhizomes. Tho they tend to be horizontal.

o
RE: Newbie Need help

Sounds like bearded iris to me. First they need a sunny location with excellent drainage; digging in extra sand would not hurt them at all. The large sword shaped fan of leaves can be cut back if they look tattered but leave the smaller leaves intact as they will grow larger in the coming months. Make sure you plant them with the top 1/3 of the rhizome (thickened root) exposed to sunlight otherwise you will get no flowers. If any part of the root is mushy or damaged cut it off with a sharp knife (like slicing a potato!)before planting. Water well to begin and then only when very dry for a long period of time(over 2 weeks).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here