Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
random_harvest

Transplanting blooming iris

random_harvest
12 years ago

Just got through transplanting a couple of clumps of blooming irises and remembered another thread recently asked why you would do it. I've been transplanting tall bearded irises in bloom for years and usually have good results. There are several reasons why I do.

First, that way I'm absolutely sure I'm moving what I intend to move. I make notes, I label, I write on fans, but still come fall I'm often in doubt.

Another reason is that another flower -- usually a daylily -- is in mortal danger of being overgrown by the transplantee. That daylily needs more space NOW!

Finally, there's instant gratification. I'm able to see right away whether the iris looks as good in its new spot as I hoped it would.

I don't cut back either the blooms or the foliage. If I get a good root ball and am lucky enough to do it just before rain or cloudy weather, the moved iris just picks up and keeps going. I can't recall ever losing one, but of course the ones I move are healthy and vigorous else they wouldn't be candidates for mid-bloom transplant in the first place.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!