Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Irises near edible plants

Posted by dpc5555 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 17:41

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are restrictions about planting irises in proximity to vegetables or herbs?

I have an enclosed vegetable garden and was looking for something to plant around the border of the garden for visual flair. The upright stalks of the Iris leaves would give a nice accent, though I know certain parts of the plant are considered poisonous.

If this is a bad idea and anyone has other recommendations for a border plant, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Irises near edible plants

My garden is bordered with Iris! No problem here! been this way for years. If you are not eating the Iris then you will be fine. LOL good luck!

o

I have mine all mixed in with my veggies. I think you'd have to eat a lot of iris to get sick anyway.
Renee

o

Wonderful news! My garden is kind of ho-hum looking, a row of irises as a border would look beautiful. Thanks for the advice!

o

It won't hurt the veggies/herbs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here