Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly4_gw

Walking Iris/Wandering Iris

Holly4
12 years ago

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with a newly purchased iris.

2 days ago, I bought a Wandering Iris (sometimes called Walking Iris) plant. Yesterday, three of the pods bloomed--beautiful blue and white flowers. I had been told by the seller that once they bloom, you can put the pod in earth and it will regrow. So, this morning when I went to look, the flowers had shrivelled up. I had just read upon researching yesterday, that they only bloom for a day, So, thinking that was that, I pulled off the "dead" flower. Now I am reading that they rest for a few days and then bloom again. Have I done something dreadful or will I see flowers again???

Also, I just don't understand when I should break the pod off to start a new plant. I've read the spine the flower is on bends to the ground and plans itself (?) but how can the flower bloom if the spine is bent over touching the ground? Also wondering if I should support the spine when it looks as though it's "pods" are going to bloom? (I did that the day I brought it home and, I had a bloom the next day!) So many questions but I've never had a plant like this before so am clueless.

TIA for any help you may give and I'm hoping I haven't ruined my chance of havingt more of these beautiful flowers by pulling off the dead head this morning.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor