Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q about root development in forced dutch irises

Posted by naeelah none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 19:31

Hello, I have a beginner question. I used to grow bulbs outdoors all the time. I no longer have a yard, so, I'm trying my hand at forcing bulbs.

On President's day (so, almost 2 weeks ago) I planted a Peruvian daffodil, a daylily, and some Dutch irises. I was just checking them for roots -- the daylily is actually already growing leaves, so it's good. The Peruvian daffodil is putting out some healthy roots, so it seems well on its way.

The irises though, of course, are in cold storage. One of the bulbs seemed to have a couple of thin root tendrils, but otherwise, there is no sign of development.

Is this on target? I've never grown irises indoors or dealt with cold storage before, so I don't know exactly when things happen. I understand that these bulbs need at least 12 weeks in storage -- and by that time, the roots should be developed.

Should there be any roots after only 2 weeks? (I just want to ask now, rather than wait another 2 weeks and see, so that I can start over with fresh bulbs if these are duds.)

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q about root development in forced dutch irises

I'm confused. Are the Dutch iris in soil or water?

What cold storage do you mean? Refrigerator?

o

They are in soil, in the refrigerator.

o

I would not keep the Dutch iris in the refrigerator any longer. They are a bulb which does not need winter chill - refrigeration will only retard their growth.

o

Really? I've read a lot of guides saying they need a chilled period. Well, I'll pull them out and see what happens! Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here