Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Naturalizing Iris

Posted by sharon_can 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 19:45

What iris are most suitable for naturalizing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Naturalizing Iris

All iris multiply which is usually meant by the term naturalize. Most are spring bloomers.

What height do you want? What is your setting size-wise? Home garden?

o
RE: Naturalizing Iris

If you are looking for an iris that will form large colonies in a more or less natural setting, I'd recommend Iris cristata. But this is very low growing - almost a groundcover. For a taller form, Iris pseudacorus naturalizes well - almost too well, as it is considered an invasive species in various areas. And it doesn't need an especially moist area to spread rapidly. Best to check on its appropriateness for your area before planting.

Japanese wood iris, Iris japonica, also forms large colonies and is suited to a semi-woodland situation. Doubt it would be hardy enough for you, though.

As iris gal said, all iris tend to multiply over time but most stay within a limited area. This to me is quite different from naturalizing, although multiple plantings scattered throughout the area will provide a very similar effect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here