Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Nursery Recommendations

Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 20:18

Hi, I'm an avid rose collector (I have about 600 varieties of roses) but I'm new to iris and was trying to find some reputable vendors. I guess I'm broadening my horizons :) I placed an order with Wild Iris Rows based on DG feedback, and they're in my home state so the plants won't have far to travel. What are some other vendors that you use?

Also, I noticed they ship durinf the hottest months (opposite of roses); do you plant them when they arrive or wait until fall?

Sorry if this is a reptative thread. I looked back through a few pages of posts and didn't see anything. I'll repay the favor is you need any rose advice :)

Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Nursery Recommendations

You should plant them as soon as they arrive.
Here is a list of reputable vendors from the American Iris Society (link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Commercial Directory

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 14:35

Tammy, nurseries will ship when the time has come to dig in their location. You can specify a later ship date, and you may get freshly dug rhizomes, or not, or they may run out of the variety you ordered.
Walter Moore has promoted a method for handling the 'I got iris shipped when it was too hot to re-plant" situation. Basically you pot up the rhizomes into 4" pots with potting mix and place them outside in the shade - watering frequently. When the day temps are in the 80's or less with temperate weather in the future it is safe to plant them out. Planting Rhizomes when it is over 90 -100 in full sun may lead to them rotting before they get growing. If you have to plant under these conditions - make some kind of shade - even a shingle stuck into the ground on the South side is helpful.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 9:47

Thank you both for the advice! It does get into the 90's here on a daily basis during the summer here. Ill be sure not to plant in full sun until closer to fall, but I have quite a bit of gardening space in partial afternoon shade as well. I placed an order with Blue J's and Burgards.

Boy is there some pretty iris out there!

Tammy

o

I think Shreiners are the best of the best and include a booklet on how and when to plant thats a huge help for newbys to iris. I,ve been buying from them for many years and they are really quick to take care of any problems and replace any iris that don,t make it in the first year.

o

Wild Iris rows is very good, very generous! It's confusing that their is 2 companies with close to the same name.

Also lakeside iris is great, 760-378-3841. No internet site

o

With you being in East Tn..there are 3 near you...and if the iris grow good for them, then you know they should do well for you.

Iris City Gardens..outside of Nashville
Wild Iris Rows Springfield TN
Rocky Top Gardens

o

And I can tell you I got beautiful plants from Rocky Top, and much bigger ones than some better know nurseries give.
kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here