Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie waited way too long to plant iris...what can I expect?

Posted by blackangus Austin, TX (8B) (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 20:41

I ordered a box of bearded iris last fall that was accidentally taken to storage. I just found it. The irises are still OK, it looks like, just a bit dried out, but they are heavy in the hand and not totally dessicated. Several of them still show green on the shoots/leaves. I plan to put them in the ground this weekend. The temps in Austin have been up and down over the last couple of weeks, between 40 and 77 degrees. Assuming I get these in the ground ASAP, what can I expect from them? Should they live? Any chance of them blooming later this year? Any special treatment I should offer the rhizomes? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie waited way too long to plant iris...what can I expect?

I just plant and thoroughly soak the area. And I do mean soak. No more water for a month unless Mother Nature delivers.

Some people like to soak dry tubers for an hour or so before planting.

I wouldn't expect bloom this year. Next year? Much depends on your soil's nutrition and the particular cultivar's vigor.

Good luck. We'll want bloom pictures and the story again.

o

I think they may do okay. I have purchased bearded iris rhizomes from HD at this time of year, and they were pretty dessicated and appeared to be just shy of the next world when planted. Most have managed to resurrect.
Renee

o

Blackangus - at least your irises were unintentionally stored. I'm a bonafide slacker :D

I'm in a different zone, but I take this to mean that I can plant my irises now and they'll be okay. I don't expect bloom this year, but I want to get them in the ground while I'm on a roll with the bed preparations and soil-working.

I've had the rhizomes sitting in the garage for a year and a half now and they're nice and dry and still have roots on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here