Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I don't see any Irises sprounting?

Posted by ladyrose65 6bNJ (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 20:52

My Irises I planted in the fall are doing nothing? Did I plant them too deeply? I have the top growth exposed, they are partly green. Should I give it another 2-weeks, or should I hike them up? Getting worried because my lillies got an inch or more of growth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I don't see any Irises sprounting?

The tops of mine are green, too, with no new growth showing. Be patient. I wonder though why you think they may be planted too deeply? Are the tops of rhizomes visible? If so, you're OK.

o

No the rhizomes are covered with 1-inch of soil. I have the stalk showing. I think I need to hike them up.

o

Don't worry; you are in NJ & it is not April ---we have been having cold nights & snow; they are not going to jump up just yet. But you should have the tops of the rhizomes above the ground, and the bottom "half" of the rhizomes set in the soil. If you pull up one of them you will see that they only have roots coming out of the bottom side of the rhizome.

When the soil is OK to work (ie not a mud ball), lift the rhizomes so they are like feet in sandals---the top part shows.

You must be in South Jersey--zone 6b.

The other thing is, plants that were added to the garden only last fall or summer are not as fast to show action in Spring as the ones that are more established. My crocus clumps that are 10+ years old are up & blooming; the ones I added last fall have yet to show their leaves. Same with the old & new daffodils.

o

Ofionnachta , Thank You. I will raise them up. I had followed a Youtube video on how to plant them. A lesson learned.

o

Mine are not doing much of anything yet (Jersey near Princeton). Call me crazy, where did I read rhizomes will push themselves up?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here