Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Catalog orders??

Posted by aquawise zone 4 Utah (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 20:53

How are you last fall Iris ordered from catalogs doing. Here is my spring Inventory on the 4 places I ordered from.
Burgard Iris. !2 plants ordered all doing great !
Schreiners Iris. 11 plants ordered all doing great !
Springhill. 15 plants ordered 7 died 8 doing poorly !
Breck's. 9 plants ordered 6 died 3 doing OK !
Lesson here!!!! the first 2 were shipped to me in late August.
the other 2 were sent to me in late, late October! I begged them to send them sooner but they said they knew better than me the planting time in my zone. This is one of those time that one size fits all does not apply!!! Our winter this year was very mild! not our usual -20 to -30 below.
I will so never order from those 2 again. It remains to be seen if the Peony and Daylily plants I ordered from Breck's will make it! they have not shown there little heads as yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Catalog orders??

Yeah, those places just don't work for irises. I always shop at the family owned iris gardens- the service and quality is so much better.
Renee

o

I don't care for breck's or Springhill for any plants, although they do replace or refund any that don't survive. I did order from Schreiners once, more expensive plants than you can get from Brecks or Springhill, but SO much nicer.

o

Schriners rock! Ordered from them several times, and plants are healthy, robust, amazing!

o

thanks for your time to post this

mr toad

o

The size and Quality of the rhizomes from SH and Brecks was Poor compared to those from Burgards and Schrieners!
I conclude that the time of year was the biggest factor in the life and death of the Rhizomes! Next would be the Quality of the Rhizome.
SH and Brecks were Medium to small and VERY dried out.
Bur. and Sch. were Large and fresh! only a few dry leaves.

o

I placed a large order from wild iris rows and was expecting it to be great after I read feed back from Daves garden, but when I opened my box I was stunned it was so good! Out of around 40 I have not lost one. Their is also a My wild irs rows, but I have not orderd from them.

o

That is awesome to know! as I want to order some historic this year. Has anyone ordered from Breezeway Iris?? They have some awesome Historic ones.

o

My 8 from Exline are all alive, despite some of them being trampled by siding contractors in November.

Of them, TOTAL RECALL and SURF AND SAND have had tall foliage for a while, and VICTORIA FALLS has just recently gotten tall. The rest are still pretty stubby.

Nate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here