Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my irises blooms this spring?

Posted by april_wine z7 Tennessee (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 22:08

I came home today and my husband cut all my irises in a bed down to about 4 inches! He was cutting back ornamental grasses at end of this bed and thought he was doing a good thing! My irises usually bloom in mid April. None had buds yet. Think there may be a chance they will still bloom this spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my irises blooms this spring?

The will make new leaves and should flower fine. A good Iris Fertalizer would help but not necessary. I give mine a good feed of Bone meal and Azomite every spring.

o

I have been ready good things about bone meal, I may try some around my irises. Thanks aquawise!

o

Thank goodness he did it now and not a little later in the season. Another couple of weeks and he might have decapitated the bloom stalks among the leaves. My guess would be that aquawise is correct. Your iris will probably bloom. They may, however, be a little later than usual.

Kay

PS: In the wake of this near tragedy, you did have a conversation with your well-intentioned but misguided DH, did you not?

o

The irises didn't have bloom stalks, so I am hopeful that they will bloom. And no, Onederw, I didn't give him too much grief about cutting them back. I do appreciate that he "helps" me get some of my beds cleaned up for Spring! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here