Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Russian Irises - To plant or not to plant????

Posted by DirtyRedneck 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 23:05

I've got someone offering me some Russian irises to transplant but she says they're an invasive species and will take over my yard in a few years. I like the idea of a lot of flowers but is this something I really want to do? I know next to nothing about flower bulbs and I don't want to get in over my head.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Russian Irises - To plant or not to plant????

I would love to have some of these to plant in my water garden.
They do spread so it is recommended to not let them go to seed.
One can also plant them in a confined ares to contain the rhizomes.

o

aquawise you should be able to grow the bearded variety in Utah. I know they did great in Colorado and Michigan.

o

I have over 150 colors of the bearded ones. The Russian Iris do well in wet conditions so would do great at the edge of a pond.

o

I think they are the same as Japanese irises, no? Iris ensata? If your friend has this problem with them I would put a barrier in to contain them. They may be easily contained by withholding water, too.

o

I'd never heard of Japanes iris (I. ensata) being called Russian iris. I love Japanese iris! Not nearly as invasive as I. pseudocorus, which overtakes ponds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here