Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgnel

old iris need to bloom

bgnel
12 years ago

When I was about 10 (1990) my mother and I planted a bunch of iris bulbs in our garden at our cabin. They lived there for about 10 years before we tore our cabin down to rebuild. My cousin took a bunch to plant at her house and they have done VERY well. About 2 years ago she gave me 2 to plant at my newly purchased first home. So needless to say I am pretty new to gardening.

I planted them in late August of 2010 (in Minneapolis). Last year they came up and seemed to do well except they did not flower. This year being the crazy warm year it has been it has started to grow and is up to about 6 to 8 inches tall so far. They have gotten very large and leafy.

2 part question:

#1: If they do not flower this year, am I doing something wrong? We still have some at our cabin which flower every year but do not get any bigger as mine have.

#2: Since they keep getting bigger I am guessing I am going to have to split at some point. Do you just stick a shovel down the center to separate the bulb?

These iris's are very important to me. My mother died in 1994 and they were her very favorite flower. It is special to have them with me since we initially planted them together. I would love nothing more for them to flower this year.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Comment (1)

Sponsored