Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions on Moving Irises

Posted by yukkuri_kame 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 1:30

I've got a bed full of irises that I want to move to make room for a big veggie bed.

It's april and they are in full bloom right now, so obviously I am going to wait until they are finished blooming.

When would be the right time to move them? And how to do it?

Thanks,
YK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions on Moving Irises

most would say wait till fall but i move them here year round wait till after bloom break them up and spread them around already bloomed rhizomes may or may not make it (they die after they bloom)sometimes replanted they will put off side shoots if you have very much discard them and watch where u throw them some times they grow; iris are very resiliant

o

Around here, it is recommended to divide about a month after they bloom. I divide just about any time after they finish blooming, & they bloom the next year.

o

time out the veggie production..

and move them so that you can attain such ...

it will be of little use.. to wait for the perfect iris time.. if you cant get all the veggies mature before fall ..

i surely have no idea what that all means in your z9 ...

ken

o

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I am a total noob with irises, but the house came with a bunch - and they are beautiful! - just in the wrong spot.

We have some sort of veggie production 365 days a year... but mid-summer would not be the time to be planting out young veggies - too hot for transplants!

If I can get this done by early May, then I should be in good shape for summer production.

o

They will probably all be done blooming by then.
Renee

o

i love it.. when given a set of ID" variables .. we can use logic to come to a conclusion ...

and here was the key consideration: but mid-summer would not be the time to be planting out young veggies

stating the obvious ... but you never know where a newbie is lurking ..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here