Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon2009

iris creating

shannon2009
15 years ago

Thanks for the info.

I have a peach iris, that has already bloomed Beverly Sills(?) that has some very warped foliage, its crinkled and bent--the flower was fine but shorter than last year. Any ideas as to what can cause this?

I am totally new to this and just wondered what would happen if I tweaked them a bit myself. I'm not a breeder and don't have the time, space, or attention to detail required to do it seriously, but I know I'll dabble a bit.

I just got my Swerti this year and am waiting impatiently for it to bloom. Its not frilly but supposedly smells great so we'll see. Most of mine are the fragrant ones. A friend has one that smells heavenly, "just a purple iris" is what she calls it, and its ready to divide this year so I can't wait to get some of those in the fall. Most of the fragrant ones seems to be purple or blue, is that an accurate observation or are there pinks, reds, & bicolours that smell also?

Comment (1)

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

Here's an old thread on fragrance. Your warped foliage could be due to temperatures or Round-Up drift.

Fragrant Irises - The List
    Posted by Phantomfyre z5b NE Ohio (My Page) on Mon, May 17, 04 at 7:59

The question of which irises are fragrant is often asked, so it has been suggested that we have an ongoing Fragrance thread that is periodically bumped to the top of the forum, and that can be continually added to as we find varieties to add.

A note: If you are an AIS member, there is a Fragrance Robin. To join, contact the Robin Chairperson, listed in the front of your AIS Bulletins.

Many irises are fragrant to some extent, but some are especially so. So, as your irises bloom, please post your fragrant varieties here.

CELESTE (Lemón 1858)
    CREATIVE STITCHERY - like a birthday cake
    DAREDEVIL
    Death By Chocolate an SDB carried by SnowPeak.
    DEVIL'S LAKE very fragrant
    EASTER SONG
    ELECTRIQUE remember as having a nice fragrance when you're near them
    ENGLISH COTTAGE smells like line-dried laundry
    EVER AFTER
    FALL RERUN
    FANCY WOMAN remember as having a nice fragrance when you're near them
    FINALIST was very fragrant tonight
    FLUSHED DELIGHT
    FRAGRANT CLOUD is a TB that's taupe/gray colored. Originially listed only as a gray iris from my local supplier but blooms for me closer to tan. Smells like a floral perfume.
    FRAGRABT LILAC a TB carried by just about everybody.
    FRENCH PERFUME, TB, strong sweet/perfumy scent
    I. pallida, sweet scent - often like grapes, grape Kool-Aid or grape bubble gum
    GAY PARASOL (Schreiner 1974)
    GOLDEN IMMORTAL
    GYPSY WOMAN - lovely anise candy fragrance
    IDOL'S DREAM, TB, lemon meringue scent
    LAST KNIGHT, which smells like some daffodils. It is a large very ruffly deep magenta.
    LILAC WINE
    LIME MIST, SDB, lime scent
    LINGERING MELODY
    LOIS PARRISH
    MAKES SCENTS, TB, strong sweet scent
    MANDOLIN
    MANOR BORN
    MISTY LADY
    PEKING SUMMER, TB, orange scent
    PERFUME COUNTER
    PETITE POLKA, SDB, hot chocolate/cocoa scent
    PINK SLEIGH
    PINKNESS
    POCAHONTAS, historic TB, sweet grape scent
    RADIENT APOGEE is fragrant.
    RIPPLING RIVER has a definite and pleasant fragrance.
    SCOTTISH WARRIOR (Sutton '02) Strong what I would call a male's cologne musky scent!!
    Scottie smelled so strongly he found a new home on the porch!
    SNEEZY (Keppel '96) Same kind of scent as above, only tolerable!
    SOUTHLAND GRAPE fragrant from quite a distance
    SUGARTIME fragrant
    SUPERSTITION (Schreiner 1977)
    THAT SCENTSATION

I agree with you, Walter. Not only do older blooms seem to lose their fragrance, I think sometimes they get downright stinky! I think humidity and temperature (and probably other factors, too) also play a role in how fragrant blooms appear to be.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County