Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Names of common 'ditch iris'???

Posted by dani_plus_2 WI 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 23, 09 at 7:52

I have a blue one that smells GREAT (yummy, grapes) and I have ordered a yellow one that I have been looking for (I hope it's the old ditch iris that my grandma used to grow). The guy has it list under ANTIQUE yellow because he didn't know it's name, either. He never thought anyone would want to buy it, he told me! Yikes!

Image Hosting
Image Hosting

My mom remembers it as a light yellow, shorter than the purple one I have here. I'm not sure if it smelled. I would love to find it again.

My mom and I call them "can't kill em's" because, well, it's awfully hard to kill them!

Does anyone know their names???

Thanks in advance for any help

Dani

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Names of common 'ditch iris'???

http://www.dayliliesbythepond.com/irises/gallery/ai.htm

I can't get the pic to post, but here's the link to the ANTIQUE YELLOW

o

Here's a clickable link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Yellow Iris

o

Hi Dani,

When I moved into my grandpa's old house 20 years ago, I discovered a similar iris under the old oleander. No leaves, just rotted old rhizomes that had not been watered for years.

When I moved them to the sun and watered them, I got as many as 27 flowers per fan! My dad saw them and remembered mowing them off with the lawnmower as a teen.

I have not been able to ID the old lavendar iris, nor have I been able to ID the old white one I have. There are so many, and they look so much alike! But it is nice about the scent, isn't it?
Renee

o

yeah, the blue ones are amazing!!! I'm hoping the yellow ones I ordered are just as hardy. My mom rememers the yellow ones as a kid and it smelled like lemons..

I know t's hard to id things. I just thought that maybe because they seem to be EVERYWHERE that they'd be like a species or something???

o

Try iris pallida for the one pictured. It's a form of pallida, I believe. You'll probably never know which form, or if it's just a wild cross, but pretty sure pallida.

o

The yellow may have been Flavescens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here