Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani_plus_2

Names of common 'ditch iris'???

dani_plus_2
15 years ago

I have a blue one that smells GREAT (yummy, grapes) and I have ordered a yellow one that I have been looking for (I hope it's the old ditch iris that my grandma used to grow). The guy has it list under ANTIQUE yellow because he didn't know it's name, either. He never thought anyone would want to buy it, he told me! Yikes!

{{gwi:1014350}}

{{gwi:1014351}}

My mom remembers it as a light yellow, shorter than the purple one I have here. I'm not sure if it smelled. I would love to find it again.

My mom and I call them "can't kill em's" because, well, it's awfully hard to kill them!

Does anyone know their names???

Thanks in advance for any help

Dani

Comments (6)

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

http://www.dayliliesbythepond.com/irises/gallery/ai.htm

I can't get the pic to post, but here's the link to the ANTIQUE YELLOW

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Here's a clickable link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Yellow Iris

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

Hi Dani,

When I moved into my grandpa's old house 20 years ago, I discovered a similar iris under the old oleander. No leaves, just rotted old rhizomes that had not been watered for years.

When I moved them to the sun and watered them, I got as many as 27 flowers per fan! My dad saw them and remembered mowing them off with the lawnmower as a teen.

I have not been able to ID the old lavendar iris, nor have I been able to ID the old white one I have. There are so many, and they look so much alike! But it is nice about the scent, isn't it?
    Renee

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yeah, the blue ones are amazing!!! I'm hoping the yellow ones I ordered are just as hardy. My mom rememers the yellow ones as a kid and it smelled like lemons..

I know t's hard to id things. I just thought that maybe because they seem to be EVERYWHERE that they'd be like a species or something???

• PollyNY
    15 years ago

Try iris pallida for the one pictured. It's a form of pallida, I believe. You'll probably never know which form, or if it's just a wild cross, but pretty sure pallida.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

The yellow may have been Flavescens.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting