Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryshoe

Japanese Iris - Does Foliage Hold Up Like Siberian Iris?

I really like the foliage on the Siberian Iris we planted last spring. It held up through a long season.

I saw some large potted Japanese Iris at a nearby nursery and almost made an impulse purchase. I like the bloom form and color. The likely home is a prime spot where we will see it daily and long-lasting foliage is a must.

How does the foliage of Japanese Iris compare to the Siberian Iris?

Does it bloom about the same time as the Siberian?

Thanks.

Harry

Comments (5)

• greenguy1
    14 years ago

I'm in zone 7 Maryland, for me Siberians start blooming the middle of May, a week to two weeks earlier than the Japanese Iris.

The foliage of Japanese iris is overall more subtantial than that of Siberians. The leaf is wider and thicker, and has a fat, rigid mid-rib that keeps it from being floppy. It also stays a nice medium green the whole season (not as dark a green as Siberians). If your Siberian foliage held up well for you, there should be no problem with the Japanese. I have actually left the foliage on the whole winter some years and it was a quite attractive gray-brown, standing tall until I cut it down in February or March.

They (at least my Japanese iris) set a lot of seed, and the pods are also attractive. Letting them go to seed hasn't seemed to affect the amount of bloom I get year to year. Sometimes I deadhead, sometimes I don't. But, unless you are particularly interested in seeing the results of genetic recombination, make sure to remove the seed pods before they start to split open - three or four years ago I didn't and I'm still getting seedlings all over the place. One of the seedlings was actually quite lovely (I somehow missed it weeding, and it got to blooming size), having gotten a deep purple color and flat, round form from one parent and a stripe/stippling pattern from another, so I kept it; the rest have gone to the compost pile...

- Steve

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I have told that the bloom sequence on iris is intermediate bearded, then tall bearded, then Siberian, then Japanese.

• PollyNY
    14 years ago

The foliage on JIs is just as lovely as the sibs. Many species too have great foliage. Not bothered by the insects, and other leaf problems the bearded have, normally.

Japanese will bloom after the siberians. In some places Rita, the sibs bloom before the TBs. All depends on where you live, but in our area, dwarf bearded, median bearded, tall bearded, followed shortly after with sibs (may bloom at the same time as some TBs, then the JIs.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I planted two potted Japanese Iris this weekend. They are named Sensation and Gracieuse. Both are in a bed that has great soil along side my 3 Siberians, roses and other perennials.

They were planted in a mixture of soil, humus and composted manure. Is additional fertilizing recommended?

Is there much chance these Japanese Iris might bloom this season?

• PollyNY
    14 years ago

Hi Harry,

I would not recommend fertilizing them until late summer. They sound like they have a good planting area, and really probably don't need additional fertilizer at all, but late summer is when they set their buds for next years flowers, so I like to fertilize them then. It never hurts to hit them with some Miracle Gro if you are using it in the garden, though.

Potted may bloom this year.

By the way, Sensation and Gracieuse are not registered Japanese irises. We have had a huge influx of Japanese irises from Dutch growers in the past few years and they are the names some of those are given. Some others are Pink Lady, Royal Robes and Eden's Paintbrush. These are irises that the Japanese growers were going to toss, and sold instead to the Dutch growers who have marketed them through wholesale houses. They probably won't look like the picture on the plant if there was one. It may be a beautiful iris, or it may be a dud. Hopefully the ones you got will be nice. But, please, please do not sell trade, or otherwise pass either of those along as a named Japanese iris. And next time consider buying from an iris grower, or get them from a nursery that carries registered named ones. You can check for registered names at the Society For Japanese Iris website.

Polly @ Siberian Iris Gardens

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts