Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

What's the toughest white iris you can find

paulsiu
11 years ago

What's the toughest, more carefree white iris? Irises are pretty tough to begin with and don't need that much care, but I was hoping to find one that's not vulnerable to iris borers.

Paul

Comments (12)

• natalie4b
    11 years ago

I love Immortality - that is one of very few whites in my garden - never had any issues with it.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Cemetery Irises. Iris Albicans. It will grow just about anywhere with no care.
    Renee

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Sorry- I don't know how it fares against borers.
    Renee

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

An oldie, Piety. I've lived here 45 years, and it has migrated to my yard from the neighbors. she just lets it go.
    Another toughie is Snow Gnome, an intermediate, blooming here now. I dig out half of it every 2 years. If you want some let me know.

• mikesc
    11 years ago

Here at my College, there are two clumps of Immortality. I'm not joking when I say that it blooms all the year round. I've even seen stalks in January and February (which are warmer here than in lots of places) and even in the hottest summer months in 100 degree heat. They don't do anything special to it, I am sure.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I have Immortality, but haven't found it to be impressive here. It sometimes doesn't even bother blooming in the spring, much less rebloom in the fall. Since it has developed into a large clump, it does seem to be happier.

• arilbred
    11 years ago

try skating party and mesmerizer (spaceage & rebloom)and leda's lover

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Many years ago I bought one named White Owl. It has survived all the others. For some strange reason only one site on the Internet mentions it.

• jmcdmd
    11 years ago

I've not had much luck with "Immortality" and I've tried it more than once because of the rebloom factor.

I've had better luck with "Skating Party"

• subk3
    11 years ago

I have what I think is White City. Introduced in the 30s, I remember my mother getting some divisions of it in the late 60s. I have some from her garden that I moved last year from my old house to my new.

Last April I pulled some plants from the house I had for sale put in some plastic grocery bags and set it beside the sidewalk at my new house. Before I could get them planted life got very complicated and it was September when they were finally pulled out of the bag and planted. This spring they looked pretty good, but I yanked one out and moved it to the other side of the garden. Currently they are all blooming even the one transplanted 2 months ago. I don't think I can kill it.

White City has big blooms and is very tall--the current blooms are 42". It doesn't have all the frilly frufru edges most modern iris seem to have, just a big simple and elegant bloom. It's my favorite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom

• eukofios
    11 years ago

I have Immortality. I am Zone 8 Maritime Pacific NW. For me, Immortality usually blooms nicely in the Spring. I've only had a couple of reblooms in the fall. I did neglect it for a few years, maybe that's why. The flowers are beautiful but for me, they tend to get gloppy in the rain. I've had Immortality for about 8 years. It increases fairly slowly for me, which is good since I don't have a lot of room.

That "white city" is truly beautiful!

• ShenandoahLady
    9 years ago

I planted some iris given to me last year and the owner did not know if they were all the same or what they were. Imagine my surprise, in mid-October, this Iris popped 1 stalk with 6 buds! Its about 24-30
    " tall, its buds almost looked like a really pale blue, almost white. When it bloomed, it was 55 degrees and raining, but it popped 2 fairly large ruffled white or white with blue tinge blooms, with3 more ready soon. It has to be Immortality from everything I can find, and it certainly lived thru a very dry summer, under a house ledge on a west wall, and is just blooming its heart out. Seeing it beside a pop-up salmon pink cleome is really pretty. Hope it makes it thru the winter and will bloom next spring.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz