Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the toughest white iris you can find

Posted by paulsiu 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 8:22

What's the toughest, more carefree white iris? Irises are pretty tough to begin with and don't need that much care, but I was hoping to find one that's not vulnerable to iris borers.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the toughest white iris you can find

I love Immortality - that is one of very few whites in my garden - never had any issues with it.

o

Cemetery Irises. Iris Albicans. It will grow just about anywhere with no care.
Renee

o

Sorry- I don't know how it fares against borers.
Renee

o

An oldie, Piety. I've lived here 45 years, and it has migrated to my yard from the neighbors. she just lets it go.
Another toughie is Snow Gnome, an intermediate, blooming here now. I dig out half of it every 2 years. If you want some let me know.

o

Here at my College, there are two clumps of Immortality. I'm not joking when I say that it blooms all the year round. I've even seen stalks in January and February (which are warmer here than in lots of places) and even in the hottest summer months in 100 degree heat. They don't do anything special to it, I am sure.

o

I have Immortality, but haven't found it to be impressive here. It sometimes doesn't even bother blooming in the spring, much less rebloom in the fall. Since it has developed into a large clump, it does seem to be happier.

o

try skating party and mesmerizer (spaceage & rebloom)and leda's lover

o

Many years ago I bought one named White Owl. It has survived all the others. For some strange reason only one site on the Internet mentions it.

o

I've not had much luck with "Immortality" and I've tried it more than once because of the rebloom factor.

I've had better luck with "Skating Party"

o

I have what I think is White City. Introduced in the 30s, I remember my mother getting some divisions of it in the late 60s. I have some from her garden that I moved last year from my old house to my new.

Last April I pulled some plants from the house I had for sale put in some plastic grocery bags and set it beside the sidewalk at my new house. Before I could get them planted life got very complicated and it was September when they were finally pulled out of the bag and planted. This spring they looked pretty good, but I yanked one out and moved it to the other side of the garden. Currently they are all blooming even the one transplanted 2 months ago. I don't think I can kill it.

White City has big blooms and is very tall--the current blooms are 42". It doesn't have all the frilly frufru edges most modern iris seem to have, just a big simple and elegant bloom. It's my favorite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom

o

I have Immortality. I am Zone 8 Maritime Pacific NW. For me, Immortality usually blooms nicely in the Spring. I've only had a couple of reblooms in the fall. I did neglect it for a few years, maybe that's why. The flowers are beautiful but for me, they tend to get gloppy in the rain. I've had Immortality for about 8 years. It increases fairly slowly for me, which is good since I don't have a lot of room.

That "white city" is truly beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here