Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kstatefan

New to iris question

kstatefan
15 years ago

I planted for the first time last summer. Will they bloom this year?

Comments (14)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Depending upon the variety, if they were planted properly (proper depth), and in a proper location (sun, drainage, etc) , yes they should probably bloom for you.

There are however many different types of iris. Dutch iris I have had for years have never bloomed but the first year.

Some Iris Cristata took a couple of years to settle in and bloom, and I am getting to see them bloom for the first time this year. The wait was well worth it.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Woodland Irises Iris cristata: Crested Iris

• kstatefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are planted in full sun in a raised bed. These are the ones i planted.
    Black Dragon
    Grape Snakez
    Rustler
    Batik
    Purple Serenade
    Midnight Treat
    Raptor Red
    Wabash
    Daughter of Stars
    Obsidian

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

Nice choices! It looks like you like purple. Daughter of Stars is one of my favorites. It reblooms in California.
    Renee

• kstatefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes we like purple. I also like black flowers and it seem most of those are a dark purple.

15 years ago

Hi kstatefan,

Me again. In thinking about my reply above, I maybe should have said that 'many or most' should bloom for you this year. Depending on the time you planted them, and how mature the rhizome was, all of them may not have settled in and grown enough to bloom this year. Hopefully you will see several blooms from your list of great varieties.

I also like black flowers and it seem most of those are a dark purple.

Below is Before the Storm and as you said, most are dark purple.

There have been some great threads in the past on black irises, in case you have not seen them see link below. Unfortunately, many of the pics are not still available in the threads as they have been moved or something.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: top 3 threads name a lot of Blacks

• kstatefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My Iris bed

15 years ago

Very neat, and tidy but I think they may soon outgrow their bed, and/or grow together, maybe making digging difficult to know exactly what is what when dividing them.

I'd think you might see some bud growth soon. They sure look healthy and happy there.

Sue

• kstatefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was to hard to decide on just the right amount for the bed. I thought if these came out good I would add another bed in the future.

15 years ago

Did you plant just one rhizome of each variety you listed in your first post? ...or 2 or more of each?

Taken from the FAQ here...If you have the room, plant your rzs about 2' apart with no other plants nearby to overgrow them and compete for soil nutrients. You can also plant 3 separate rhizomes in a triangle 1' apart with the leaf fans facing outwards to produce an instant clump effect.

I'm finding that even 2" apart, they soon grow and spread so fast there is a danger of getting them mixed up. (it does not take much to confuse me...lol)

I look forward to bloom pics!

Sue

• kstatefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do not remember for sure but I think just one. All the plants in the front came from Schreiner's. A couple in the back came from a local sale and might have been two rhizomes.

• ladylovingdove
    15 years ago

They look big enough to bloom to me. I always rely on a saying that you can count on 50% to bloom the first year. Also when they bloom the first year, the weight of the stalk can cause them to fall over somewhat. When this happens I just put a stone or brick on top of the rhizome to hold it down until it is done blooming.
    They look happy to me.

Dot

• kstatefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First Bloom

The color is not correct it is purple.

• kprp
    15 years ago

I just won a division ribbon at an iris show with "Batik" over the weekend. It's a fun and reliable little Border Bearded iris.

Before the Storm is the best black, so productive, I doubt that I'll ever try another one. I've tried Black Suited and it doesn't bloom for me in not-so-sunny places where Before the Storm does well.

Obsidian did pretty well for me. Daughter of STars--I just don't see what all of the fuss is about. It's pretty enough and last year(first year) it bloomed, but this year it was riddled with leaf spot, in fact, it was ground zero for the leaf spot infection in my iris garden.

I've got a Wabash look alike and it's one of only two historic's I have. It's so bright and pretty and reliable!

• kstatefan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Batik bloomed today and there are buds on nine of the plants. Black Dragon is the only one I can not see any buds on.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor