Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving irises

Posted by kateharglerode none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 8:31

I have an older home is SW Oklahoma that has hundreds of Iris that are probably very old and had been planted in the 40s, 50s and 60s. I am selling and the new owner could care less so I want to take some of these plants with me to Arizona. I have raised irises in central AZ long ago, how do I safely move these plants and when do I transplant them in their new home?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving irises

Spring is not the best time to move iris, but if you don't have a choice, this is what I would do. Pick out some of the healthist plants and if able, save some of the soil and place in a pot. Keep moist and in a shady place until you are resettled in your new digs. Depending on what part of AZ you will be living in would determine what side of your home you will want to replant in. Let me know and as a desert rat, I can give you more info on that. If your not able to keep some dirt around them, then move as dry root, place is paper bag, NOT PLASTIC. The iris you have are the old historic ones and they are tough. They could be left out of the ground for months and still survive. Again, let me know what part of AZ and we'll go from there. There are many iris clubs in AZ, so it would be a good idea to get involved with one and they could really be of help in your new location. Good Luck.

o
RE: moving irises

I was planning on planting them on the east side of the house so they would have some sun, but right now the yard is almost raw desert in west Phoenix. It might take me some months to landscape and prepare proper beds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here