Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Lady Friend?

Nancy
13 years ago

A curious thing. A couple of years ago I received Lady Friend bearded iris from 2 different people. Last year they both bloomed, within a day or 2 apart. The first one bloomed Like this

{{gwi:1014488}}

The 2nd one like this

This year they both look exactly like the 1st one. This is a picture of both iris, they were planted together. I received each as a single fan, nothing else attached, so no way there could have been a mystery iris in them, & they are still clearly separate fans.

{{gwi:1014490}}

I can't help but think it is something in my soil. Nice enough iris, but I have several that look very much like it.

Comments (5)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I don't think either of those are Lady Friend. I think that burgundy iris just crowded out the lighter colored one. Lady Friend has orange beards like the second iris, but it is moe tailored and dusky rose with a terra-cotta fall in the center as it ages. Sometimes people just match what they have to photos, and sometimes rhizomes just get up and walk over to where they are not supposed to be. I swear that's how English Charm got into the center of a clump of Persian Berry. Either that or someone played a mean trick on me!
    Renee

Renee

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I agree with Renee.

Iris rhizomes travel. Some are virgorous and some not. Some don't bloom every year.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know iris don't change colors, I just think there is something in my soil that may affect that one. I looked back to see where these came from, but I don't have anything written down. Mistakes do happen, although I wish I had Lady Friend. I do find it strange that both turn out to be the same color. I know, I've said the same thing when someone says their iris changed colors, one less vigorous iris was overtaken by the other. That cannot be the situation here. Neither has multiplied significantly, I still have my tag by each individual plant, & there is maybe a foot of space between each. Oh, well, stuff happens :)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

The weather is the most color-affecting thing I've observed. Some are not affected by a colder than normal winter but some mid-range ho-hummers become richer. The reason I've discounted soil is seeing the same iris I grow in a garden over the grade, completely different soil and zone. They look just like mine.

I have had mis-named iris from growers more than once!!! Well, it's orange, that must be it. Not. And one grower ordered from the same source I did so she was selling mis-named iris!

The reason I knew the top pic wasn't Lady Friend was the way the falls were held. The pretty rose-lav ? in the 2nd pic just isn't close to Lady Friend. The bottom pic looked like the iris in the top pic. Lady Friend truly is a garnet color. And her color was always consistent the years I had her. I've yet to see a look-alike.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was pretty certain neither was Lady Friend last year, but I did like the 2nd one. The pink one is a bit different in size & shape this year, but the same color as the 1st iris.
    Temperature, that could be it. It has been an odd season this year, extremely warm very early, then a long cold spell, then warm again. Some iris budded out in that early warmth, then just sat there while it was so cold when it got below 30 degrees. I was afraid it would get cold enough to kill the buds, but didn't. This is one of the earlier TB too, so the cold would have affected it more. At least I've got an explanation for the change, it has been bugging me :) I KNOW they did not grow into each other.

Sponsored