Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

iris group shot

organic_kitten
15 years ago

I ordered about 50 iris last year, and these have been blooming.

kay

{{gwi:1014503}}

Comments (24)

• denise_z7
    15 years ago

thank you for sharing a group shot, very nice to see all the colors at once.

D

• mshadow
    15 years ago

What a beautiful picture. You picked some very pretty irises.

Shadow

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    15 years ago

D and Shadow,

I caught the iris bug on this forum last year. I ordered about 50 iris and about half of them are budded or have bloomed. Jurrassic Park was my first to bloom.

I would like to thank all of you for sharing photos, because I am truly enjoying these beautiful blooms.
    kay

• mikesc
    15 years ago

Hey,
    Could you tell us what the others (besides Jurrasic P) are?

Thanks,
    Mike

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

The colors they have now on Tall Bearded Iris blooms are just so striking. That group shot just stops you in your tracks. I remember when ypu ordered all these iris last fall in your planting crazies. Sure was worth it when those blooms come.

I really want to get some TB iris myself but I have so much going on that I have not been able to manage yet.

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

How exciting. Thank you for posting your picture.

I'd be interesting in knowing the name/s of the winey colored ones midway toward the right.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike, I am at work, but will list all of them tomorrow (today, I guess).

Rita, you are so right! The pay-off for the work is in the blooms. I planted the iris according to bloom time only, so the group-shot is the early blooming ones.

Iris-gal. I can tell you that the iris you asked about is Sheer Elegance. It has had 12 blooms so far. They are large and striking...it looks very like the one on Schreiner's web-site. It is my favorite one so far.

I ordered 50 iris from Schreiner's and a little more than half of them have or will bloom this year, so I am happy.
    kay

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike, The layout in rows is:

Jurrassic Park (space) Titan's Glory

Autumn Tryst Sheer Esctasy Sky and Sun

Lady Friend (space) Safari Sunset

Jurrassic park, Titan's Glory, Sheer Ecstasy, and Safari Sunset looked like I expected. Lady Friend was more of a copper to me than a "garnet rose". Autumn Tryst is a smaller flower, but is a rebloomer. I got it in August and it has already bloomed twice for me. Sheer Ecstasy is a very prolific bloomer.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Duh, I never thought of the idea of grouping the TB by bloom season. Of course, with the tiny space I have to plant them, I don't suppose I have to worry too much as I can only fit a very few. I have some garden beds to enlarge around the big cherry tree in the backyard and I will be planting Iris there. Either TB or Siberian Iris or maybe some of each in those sections. Depends on how I lay it out.

Your picture is giving me incentive to get to work.

After all the posting and obsessing about my daylilies I do on the daylily forum (were everyone must be used to me by now) besides the daylily crazies I have gotten the lily bulb crazies (started last year) and the iris crazies this spring. Starting with Siberian Iris.

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

Thanks for the names! Sheer Ecstasy is going on my list.
    (I think Sheer Elegance is a rose :-)

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rita,
    Yes, as you, I went crazy last year...I wasn't sure I would ever get everything planted. I know that not all iris do well here, but I had a couple that were gorgeous last year, and I found this forum and the beautiful pictures, so I ordered from Schreiners (got name here) Twice! And I am reaping the rewards this year.

Another few new ones are blooming now. They are so beautiful! I have one blooming now, Bold Fashion, that is so much prettier and larger than I expected from the picture on Schreiner's on-line catalog. It looks like an orchid.

Iris-gal, you are very welcome. Sheer Esctasy is a lovely Iris.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

I remember your planting spree last year, it was a good idea to diversify and add those iris beds.

I think adding Iris would add to the bloom season around here. I worked so hard last year to add rebloom and early and late season bloom to keep the daylilies going. Will see how it works out this year when they bloom. But my current idea is to give myself a much longer bloom season by adding Iris, both Siberian and TB, to my garden and more bulb lilies. Both types of iris should bloom before daylily season here so that would give me lots more color and bloom before daylily season even starts. Plus I want to do more with bulbs.

All any of us can do is keep working away at the garden.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

How beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Yes, these folks on this forum are definately enablers...showing all their pretties.

Sue

• mikesc
    15 years ago

hey,
    Thanks a lot! The rose color one, Sheer Ecstasy, really caught my eye--nice!

They are certainly blooming well for you. Thanks for sharing!

Mike in SC

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are very welcome Mike. Sheer Esctasy has been a really good bloomer for me. It is a beauty.
    This one is Bold Fashion, and it is a beauty with an edge of a similar color.

Rita, I am loving these iris, and they are truly extending my bloom season. I think you are on the right track.
    kay

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Oh, I am just so happy to see all of these beautiful blooms! It is so nice to see them in a garden setting rather than just the normal close-up shots. It gives you an idea of which are best for different spots in the garden.
    Renee

• daylilyluver
    14 years ago

I must know the name of the purple iris with the blue beard. That one needs to come live here. I'll put it on the wish list as I already placed my Iris orders this year.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

What strikes me about the top picture is how vivid the colors are and the contrast on the ones that are two colors. So different from daylily colors.

• lovelyiris
    14 years ago

The photo of what is suppose to be Lady Friend does not look like mine. So it may very well be a different iris or somthing has changed the color somewhat. It could be the camera, the lighting, or even the wrong iris.

I would post one of my Lady Friends but I don't know how to post photos on this gardening site. I can post them on DG's.

Happy Gardening, Marian

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I just looked up Sheer Ecstasy on the Schreiners gardens site and while it looked ok, no way does it look like the stop you in your tracks gorgeous bloom that your garden shot shows. Thats why its so difficult to pick them just from the catalog photos. I love to see garden shots whenever possible.

kay- About expending the bloom season. I did just about everything that could possibly be done last year to extend my daylily season. You know I went very heavily into proven late season bloomers for my area and really hope I have finially gotten real rebloomers, again for my area. I also tried some early bloomers although I was not sure this was really the way to go. The early bloomers mostly were not that exciting a flower and there were lots of plain yellow and yellow and more yellow choices.

So as far as that goes, I have what I have. I will continue to work on getting more rebloom and true August blooming late bloom in my daylilies. But for the earlier bloom, I have given up on daylilies and am turning to Iris instead for my spring blooms.

I have 28 Siberian Iris planted now and 8 more on order for this week. I am trying to figgure out what I will order for my Tall Bearded and maybe can get something that blooms before the TB. My garden is so heavily mulched (it looks like a woodland with the thick carpet of leaves between my shrubs and roses) and the Siberians can take the same conditions as the daylilies. So it was a challenge to me to figgure out how and were I was going to add bearded iris, which can not take my preferred mulching routine. Its always a work in progress.

• kprp
    14 years ago

Oh that Jurrasic Park makes me stop and look each time I see it!
    I keep thinking I should order it to replace Edith Wolford who hardly ever graces me with her presence, she is a peculiar Dykes winner indeed.

Thanks for the photo, and Bold Fashion is very nice, too.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I still like your idea of grouping them together by bloom period. Not sure how I could manage that. I didn't even pay any attention to when they bloomed when I ordered.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kprp, Thanks for the input. I did not really expect to like Jurrassic Park as much as I did. My Edith Wolford has just now put up a stem with buds. I had given up on her for this year. Jurrassic Park had about 10 blooms, and they are huge!

Rita,
    You can look on Schreiner's site and plan out your planting of bloom time...that's how I did it. I am going to put up another group shot later today.
    kay

• klovesirises
    12 years ago

Hello Kay from Kay! :) Your garden is very beautiful! Loved looking at your pics!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor