Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best time of year...spring or fall

Posted by groall 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 9:31

I have always planted my beardless Iris fans/divisions bought or grown, in the spring unless I had something potted and then i'll plant any time buy recently I was told by a grower they divide and ship in the fall....now I am confused....is there a better time of the year to divide and plant.....I like to get a good start on the plant for next years blooms.......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best time of year...spring or fall

Being a commercial grower in OR, we allow the plants to bloom and then start digging approximately 6-7 weeks later and for us that means July August and Sept.

That allows the rhizomes to store energy and food needed for the winter so you will have a nice spring showing.

Hope this helps

D

o

Yes Denise it does....being just around the corner...so to speak...I have been looking for a large selection of Japanese, Siberian and Louisiana iris to plant around a new pond area and I have tried several adds looking for a large selection with low funds, thinking folks would be dividing with little results...this is probably why...I should try later in the summer.....I might have better luck....if you have a large selection of unknowns lying on the cutting room floor at a good price, let me know..thanks

o
RE: best time of year... fall

Denise, should have looked at your "site" before I posted....you have a great "site"/online Page with very nice photos of your flowers and I must say a very nice selection.....I like every one....don't think my retirement check will go far enough to fill the area I have but when I have a special spot for a special flower, I'll be looking through your online catalog.....

o

Thank goodness irises increase! That's one reason I like them so much. When you buy a rose, you get just one. When you buy an iris, you get enough for a whole garden in just a few years.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here