Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old deep purple variety

Posted by stitchology (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 10:36

Hi. I'm looking for an iris that grew near my childhood home in NY state that could have been planted anytime before 1955. It's shorter than most, under 30 inches. Deep, solid grape all over with a bright gold or yellow beard. 19th century art showing irises usually shows this type, which might even pre-date breeding and be a wild type.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old deep purple variety

You might find it somewhere like Shrieners historic iris section

o

There are quite a few that fit your description.

Eleanor Roosevelt is very common: https://www.google.com/search?q=iris+eleanor+roosevelt&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gfhcUYT2IpT22QWamoHwBQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=961&bih=262

So is Crimson King:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=961&bih=262&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=iris+Crimson+King&oq=iris+Crimson+King&gs_l=img.3...25588.31888.0.32549.38.20.3.3.3.6.111.1739.19j1.20.0...0.0. ..1c.1.8.img.GKRj4nyHhDY

Those are my two guesses. Good luck!
Renee

o

If it blooms very early before the rest of the beardeds, it is likely Eleanor Roosevelt. I have this, and it is quite short too. Very nice iris.

o

An elderly couple who live near me gave me a large bag of iris rhizomes that she said bloomed pretty purple flowers. I wonder if these maybe what you are looking for. I have never seen the blooms so I cannot tell you specifically what they look like. I took a few and i am ready to throw the rest out. I wonder if you maybe interest in them? Please email me if you do.

o

I've got this un-named variety someone gave me.. It's slightly different than Eleanor Roosevelt..a little taller @26" very early and prolific. I keep digging it out.. The ones I've thrown out in the pasture just send down roots and keep going.. very tough. Crimson King might be a good guess...

o

Oh, the picture didn't post.. trying again...

o

Kochii? Looks like it. Check it out. Very old very prolific Iris.

o

I found this old entry on Crimson King/Kochii w/ pictures of both together... very helpful to see both together.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/iris/hpgal042332142820.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here