Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help to ID some iris

Posted by ngraham z6 KY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 10:56

Every year I have a few new NOIDs turn up :)
I've had Total Recall for 3 years, it bloomed the 1st year, not last year, & has never rebloomed for me. I got to looking at it closely & wondering now if it really is TR. Somehow it doesn't look quite right to me
Total Recall?
Another photo of it
Total Recall?

Got Mesmerizer in a trade couple of years ago, 1st bloom for it. I know some of the ones with spoons, etc, don't always show up every year, but mesmerizer doesn't seem like it should look like this anyway. I like the bright orange/red beard
Mesmerizer imposter

Got this one in a trade too, as Jennifer Rebecca. Was told it is a rebloomer.
Jennifer REbecca Imposter

Several years ago I dug out an overgrown iris bed that had stopped blooming, it had several iris in there. Heirloom iris had choked out a lot of newer iris, but I got a lot of the iris back, & knew the names of what I had planted. I have gotten a lot of surprises the last couple of years, iris I had given up on. This was a real surprise, but I don't remember this one at all. The rhizome grew right up against a butterfly bush, so the photo is in shade. It is a very pale, almost white color, just blushed in laveneder it seems.
Mystery

I know it really isn't likely I can ID these, but I've had a couple identified before. The last one I must have gotten from our iris society sale, so I might can take the photo to them later & ID it. I think Total Recall came from the iris society too, it "should" be right, but I have had a few mistakes from them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help to ID some iris

Nancy, that does not look like my Total Recall. The falls on mine don't drape down like that, and the standards seem to be bigger and lighter in color on mine.

That's not Mesmerizer, but could it be Nordica?

Renee

o

Just found this site! Yes, I also too have irises that I don't know the name of! Is there a site where we can go to for that information? It may be to overwhelming because there are so many different varieties though! Just wondering . . .!

o

Your pink iris looks like one I bought with a name Vanity.

o

I was hoping you would see this, Renee, I know you have Total Recall. Also, lots of people rave about how well TR does, & this one I'm not impressed with. It will go out of my garden this year. Nordica seems like a good possibility on the other one. I looked up pictures, the veining on mine seems more pronounced than on some photos, but on others it looks exactly right. Nordica is suppposed to have 9-11 double socketed buds, too early to go out & count, but I noticed this had obvious double socketed buds. I wonder how common this clue would be. I have never used this as a method of identifying before.
wielsaw59, I have Vanity too, & realized yesterday it looks very close to it. It is a perfect match "except" the bloom is smaller & it started blooming almost 2 weeks later than Vanity. Both are planted in my front yard in same sun conditions, so I don't think it can be Vanity, but I hope this will be a clue for someone else.
klovesirises-other than poring over the internet at various sales sites, I don't know of a better place to ask than here. I don't have a lot of hope on the 1st iris, & really, as little as it has bloomed over 4 years, not worth it. Places that sell iris may doctor their photos too, so very hard. If you have old iris, The Historical Iris society has a lot of photos.

Later in the day I looked at the last iris. It has developed a bit more color, there are noticeable splashes of yellow, I'll try to get a better picture.

Thanks for your help Renee & wieslaw59

Here is a link that might be useful: historical iris society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here