Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to move Iris now...

Posted by rhrohde Wisconsin (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 11:19

My daughter and her fiance are living in an older farmhouse and are in the process of remodeling it. There is a very old front porch that will be demolished in the next week. There are 2 large (about 10 sq ft) iris clumps adjacent to this porch that will be destroyed in the process if we don't move them now. I've been doing some searching on this topic, and realize that this time of year is not ideal, but it's now or never. Right now, the plants have about 6 to 12 inches of new growth. These are the rhizome types and the roots are many and very dense.

What should I do to get these moved now, to keep them growing and healthy? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to move Iris now...

I would dig them up in managable sections with as much soil as i could around them and move them to their new or temporary home. if done well, I think that they'd be ok. You do have to expect that there may be some casualties.

o

Irises are pretty tough. They may not all bloom this year, but I imagine they will survive. It sounds like they should be divided anyway.
Renee

o

I agree with Renee, sounds like they need division anyway. You are going to have so many iris to replant, if you lose any you'll never notice. Iris are very tough & can easily handle division now, you'll just lose bloom.

o

Thanks for the advice. We did move them this weekend. Divided the 2 areas into manageable chunks to move (about 15 or so) and ended up with 6 nice plantings. Tried to keep them in the soil they were already in and planted them like that. So far so good.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here