Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First iris of the year-what is it?

Posted by indymom76 IN (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 11:28

Hello! I've been lurking for a while and posted a little last summer, so I thought this would be a place that others could possibly help out. Many of my iris, if not all, were from my grandmother. She passed in 2002, so I didn't get the chance to ask her about her iris before I became interested them. If anyone could help-I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: First Iris of sp '10 noid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First iris of the year-what is it?

2 guesses:

King's Jester - 1945

Tiffany - 1931 (has a yellow background not visable in some pictures)

o

I'm kind of new to the iris world myself, but i'm betting that it's Gnu Rayz.

if you go to www.wildirisrows.com and click on the catalog, then click on the link that brings you to purple/lavender and click on the name there will be a picture. he also gives the height of the plant too.

this is my guess.

o

Thanks iris gal and ashes of the fire! King's jester and gnu rayz both look close-I'd almost say gnu rayz is closer to the real thing.

o

The only thing about Gnu Rayz is that it was introduced I think in 1997. How long had your grandmother had this iris, do you know? If iris are like daylilies, they are usually pretty expensive the first few years & only the dedicated enthusiasts get those. The beard on yours looks very orange. How tall is your iris? Gnu Rayz is supposed to be an intermediate iris, so it will be about 25" tall. Tiffany & King's Jester are tall bearded iris so will be much taller.

o

This is definitely not King's Jester, and Tiffany is unlikely given it's supposed to have a yellow ground.

o

I agree it's not King's Jester or Tiffany after seeing more pics. That's what I get thinking I can hold an image in my mind!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here