Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant bearded iris in zone 6b?

Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 11:49

Have a spot for them. Too late to plant? It has been an unseasonably cold winter and everything is now blooming at once from forsythia to cherry blossoms to daffodils. If not too late to plant, how do I prepare iris bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant bearded iris in zone 6b?

Beardeds need full sun and good drainage. Bed preparation depends upon your soil. I like to dig in bonemeal and a low-nitrogen fertilizer. Schreiners site has lots of information.

Probably 2 months to bloom time in your zone. If so you may not have bloom this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.schreinersgardens.com/how-to-grow-care-for-bearded-iris

o

vettin, there's a Memorial Day garden fair not far from me, and a vendor sells bearded iris rhizomes. I've planted them successfully -- even had some flower the same summer.

o

Meadows Farms nursery (and probably Merrifield Garden Center) have bearded iris in gallon pots for $12 apiece. I almost bought Titan's Glory yesterday but decided I don't really have a good place for more iris. If you plant potted iris now, they will bloom in May. Ordering rhizomes from Schreiner's gives you a MUCH greater selection but they arrive in August and don't bloom the first year. You may see dried out rhizomes in bags at the box stores -- don't buy those, they were dug last summer and are near death.

o

The normal time to dig and plant bearded iris is summer. Potted iris from garden centers can be planted now, or next month. They aren't picky on timing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here