Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stupid question

Posted by mary_rose Upstate SC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 12:27

I am having a problem with my irises this year. I noticed in the last 2 days that the iris looks like it is going to bloom. You can see the head (flower looking bulb) and just before it looks like it is going to open, the whole bloom head just flops over like someone has come along and bent the stem in half..but about an inch or so belong where the blooms are going to start. I am not sure if it because they aren't getting enough sun, or if it is an insect or maybe too wet from the rain storms the other day. Can anybody give me some advice about what may be going on? I just planted these irises last year and I am new to irises. I just have no clue what is causing this to happen. The irises are planted among my roses, and I sprayed my roses the other day with banner maxx, could that be it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stupid question

Does the soil dry out between waterings/rain? Is it well drained? That was my first thought.

Not familar with that pesticide. RoundUp causes bloom distortion, not a floppy stem.

Since they put up bloom stalks they must be having enough sun (6 hours+).

o
RE: stupid question

I think you may have the answer...they don't get alot of sun because they are on the north side of my house....and we have had alot of rain this winter and spring. So, I think after they bloom...I am going to have to move them.

thanks...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here