Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Can anyone confirm this is Carnival Carousel

Nancy
11 years ago

I got this in a trade 3 years ago & it has finally bloomed. Last spring was really hard on this bed, lots of rain, so none of the iris in this bed bloomed. The tag says Carnival Carousel, I'm not sure that is quite right though. My garden gremlins tend to move tags around. I did get Dream of Gold about the same time & is close by, hasn't bloomed either. This looks closer to photos of Carnival Carousel to me, but just not quite right. Can anyone help me confirm if it is correct?

In sun

Shaded

{{gwi:685112}}

Comments (15)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

No, that's not Carnival Carousel. I'll look around to see if I can ID it. Irisgal may know what it is, or maybe another GW member will have an idea. It has a beautiful form.
    Renee

• Nancy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Renee, I didn't think it could be right. I looked through other new iris to see if tags might have gotten switched, but I don't think so. I hope someone can ID it, I really like it.

• aquawise
    11 years ago

Not Carnival Carousel!! Cold be Glamor pants, but I dont think so. Check out Bronco Down and Diva Do.

• aquawise
    11 years ago

try this one! Starple

• Nancy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have Starple & very similar, but not alike when you put them side by side. The top part of this one is a tad bronzier, with just a bit of the purple/red color mixed in. It does look a lot like Bronco Down to me. It may be one I'll never know, although I thought it might be individual enough to ID.

• aquawise
    11 years ago

Bronco Down look like the closest match. Might need to do some measuring and bug count,how tall are the stocks, things like that.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't find anything that tells bud count, but the height is right. Supposed to be a mid season bloomer, I consider this early, but I have a couple other mid seasons blooming now too.
    Thanks so much for your efforts, aqua!

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

I agree it's not Carnival Carousel (Begley'05)
    Here are some to look at.

Magic Palette (Blyth'94) - colors vary with camera; has horiz. form; size of light area around beard can vary.

Raging Tiger (Thompkins'92) - colors vary with camera; falls seem narrower at base.

Sketch Me (Plough'75) - only saw one pic; has fall edge ruffle but edge-color seems wider then yours and fall color not as intense.

Wowzer (Burseen'91) - blueJ's pics can be quite off but worth a look.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wonder...I got one from the same person called Painter's Palette & planted it in the same bed, right beside it actually. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I've been wondering about it. Painter's Palette is SDB iris, & the foliage is NOT SDB. Bronco Down looks more right to me in the standard area, but this one seems shaped right. Bloom time seems more accurate too. I'm betting this could be Magic Palette. I can easily see me getting the tags switched, & even writing down the wrong name. I'll have to see what the others she sent are when they bloom, that may help me too.
    Thanks!

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

Golly, I forgot about Bronco Down. Here's my photo. The standards were yellow rather than apricot or bronze.

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

I looked up the registration: Standards dark brown orange

Maybe my photo was of a mis-name???

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

Oh Lordy. There is a Bronco Down & a Bronco Brown.

Doesn't help much with the yellow standards of the one I photographed!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://wiki.irises.org/bin/view/TbAthruE/TbBroncoBrown

• aquawise
    11 years ago

Iris gal please email me!!! You email is still blocked.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks iris gal, it does get confusing, doesn't it? That is why I am almost positive mine will turn out to be Magic Palette, although to my eye, it still looks more like Bronco Down. So hard to tell from photos though, isn't it. I think the bloom time would suit Magic Palette better, it is blooming early. Not my first tall bearded, but early, & Bronco Down is supposed to be a mid season bloomer. Magic Palette is supposed to be 33", Bronco Down is 35", I measure mine-33 & 34", can you believe? How large are the flowers on your Bronco Down? These aren't very large flowers, but there are 3 branches from each stalk.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thought I would post another photo of what I think must be Magic Palette. I think it all depends on whether the standards are gold or yellow. They are definitely more golden than yellow on mine. There is more white around the beard on these later photos.
    {{gwi:1015244}}

Sponsored