Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Iris sale GRRR

Nancy
12 years ago

I've always been so pleased with my iris from our local iris society sales. Got a couple that just bloomed for the 1st time from a sale 2 years ago. BOTH are wrong! The only ones I bought that year that didn't bloom last year, I think.

Not Team Spirit

{{gwi:689224}}

I bought Wonderful World from the iris sale about 5 years ago, it was wrong. They talked me into buying it again 2 years ago. Don't you hate having to wait 2 years for something to bloom, only to find out it is wrong :(

{{gwi:689225}}

Neither one are bad, just not what they are supposed to be. Think I will take pictures & see if someone can ID them. Used to have a lot of problems with the sales, but that was before they started writing names on the rhizomes.

Couple others in bloom, they seem to be right :)

Tennessee Gentleman

{{gwi:689227}}

Cloudia-appropriately named, this one is TALL

{{gwi:1015267}}

Just a photo of one of my columbine seedlings. You never know what you will get with seedlings :)

{{gwi:689233}}

Comments (10)

• arilbred
    12 years ago

FIRST ONE LOOKS LIKE STELLAR LIGHTS
    THE OTHER APPEARS TO BE A GNU

• Nancy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It really does look like Stellar Lights, doesn't it? I'll have to see if it is in their display garden. Most of their sales stuff comes from their public garden. I may drive by & see tomorrow if I get a chance. I know they have Elainealope in their garden, so that may be the other one. Annoying, since I bought Elainealope at their sale last year. It has a bud, so I should be able to tell soon.
    Thanks arilbred!

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

What a brummer not to have them be what they are supposed to be.

• aquawise
    12 years ago

Gnu Blues!!! to light for Elainealope. IMHO!! Beautiful no matter they all are.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gnu Blues! Yea! Now that would be nice, I don't have that one. Would explain why Elainealope is going to be maybe a week later to bloom. It does look like Gnu Blues! Thanks, Aqua, I'll check to see if they have this one, I'm thinkin' they do.
    I have a beautiful blue iris blooming by my back door. I couldn't remember planting it, been thinking it is one of my blues that I can't tell the difference one from another. I was down weeding, & whaddya know, a tag. Blue Skirt Waltz. I remember getting it last year, apparently didn't write it down on my master list. Sure is a good thing I found the tag. I do love my blue iris, & have collected a bunch over time, & have at least 3 that bloom at the same time & look virtually the same to me-height, size flower, beards, everything. And so hard to tell from on line photos just what shade a flower is. May depend on the day the photo is taken too, so I'll never know which is which. I do have them tagged, but I'm inclined to think they are all the same plant.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Beautiful form on that first iris. I have not had that happen yet from buying irises at my society sales, but I have gotten the wrong irises from online sellers. It's so disappointing.

Blue Skirt Waltz is a pretty one too. I have a master list now too, and everything is tagged, but I don't have near as many irises as you. I'm going to slim down to about 25 when I divide this year, and start developing some big big clumps. I have a pretty big clump of Rip City and of Total Recall, but the rest are still small.

Renee

• Nancy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My problem, Renee, is I have space :) I'm getting rid of most of my historical iris, I don't care for them that much. I like the large flowers. I will still have too many, but I have an addiction, unfortunately. I tell my husband I'll quit my plant addiction when he quits his cigarettes. At least mine is healthier & prettier.
    I have a few iris that have made big clumps, they really make a beautiful statement. Of course, several are those historicals that I'm kicking out. I got rid of a ton last year, but some of the rhizomes seem to have escaped & made new clumps already. Other iris refuse to make clumps, just multiplying enough to have a blooming stalk the next year.

• HU-17497
    12 years ago

Your flowers are beautiful I especially like your tennessee gentleman. It's a shame that you didn't get what bought.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As Aqua said, it wasn't Elainealope, mine just opened & definitely not Elainealope :) I went by the garden today, they did have Stellar Lights, & looks the same as mine, although I think the flower looks bigger on mine. I didn't see Gnu Blues. I'll have to talk to them when they have their sale, or maybe at the iris show if I go. Someone may keep a list of what they sold, or remember what was there. They seem to know each other's gardens pretty well :)
    Thanks, Devonfawn. It is a shame, but it happens sometimes. At least the one I thought might be harder to ID has been taken care of. Gnu Blues is a definite possibility, & the iris society don't usually have these broken color iris, so I think that one will be definitely identified. I'll be happy to have Gnu Blues.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

And I forgot to say how much I love your columbines. I have never seen any like that before. Mine are singles, not all ruffly like your seedling. Gorgeous!
    Renee

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living