Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner Iris "wanna-be"

Posted by gigim 7B (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 13:13

I would like to add some iris bulbs to my garden. I have done some research and know that I should wait until the late summer or early fall to plant bulbsin my southern exposure. Can anyone recommend any bearded iris that might be good for a beginner? They will be infront of a fence that is planted with Confederate Jasmine at the back of my small backyard. I am thinking 3 or 4 sets of 3 bulbs each (planted in a triangle pattern?)

Should I order online now for delivery later or look locally? (I live in Greenville, SC)

Any thoughts or advice would be helful.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner Iris "wanna-be"

If you are talking about tall bearded iris rhizomes, I would order now online. The selection is astonishing, and you may be able to grow reblooming irises in your climate. I would buy 12 to 16 different irises- they reproduce quickly, and you can just divide the ones you like best and give away the ones you don't care for as much.

Take a look at the photo catalogs of online sellers to get some ideas. They come in almost every color and all kinds of different patterns, and some are more vigorous than others or do better in colder or warmer climates. There are lots of good sellers- you may want to order from a seller who grows near your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Commercial Directory AIS

o

I agree with hosenemesis.

Bearded iris have a way of 'travelin' as they increase. 3 feet apart is a good idea, A vigorous cultivar can produce 7 babies in one year. The next year if each repeated that performance you'd have 49! Thankfully most only produce 4-5 a year.

Read the culture information on beardeds. And find out how quickly your soil drains! Beardeds do not like wet feet.

o

They will be planted at the top of a slight hill but the soil seems pretty orange and "rocky". I thought I would add Gypsum to help with the clay and compost (mushroom?). Anything else? Should I do a soil sample? The only thing that is planted there now is confederate jasmine (behind along a fence). Bulbs will go infront .

o

Top of a rise sounds great. I understand gypsum helps with certain kinds of clay. The chemistry is beyond me. But I noticed it didn't seem to do a darn thing in my adobe after a few years use.

I assumed you meant bearded iris rhizomes, not the Dutch iris bulbs. Disregard what I said about spacing if it is bulbs.

In any case, bonemeal and/or a low nitrogen fertilizer is a good thing to dig in now. In addition an inch of aged manure is a good thing to dig in now. Mushroom compost is partially peat so I have stopped using it.

Soil sample? It's not like these are rare, temperamental expensive plants. Your choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here