Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Bearded Iris vs. Dutch Iris

Posted by redsox Z6 KY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 13:34

Since I don't know much about growing irises, I wanted to ask the differences between growing the Dutch vs Bearded. I know the appearance is very different.

Does one perennialize better than the other? Bloom time and duration different? Or just a matter of personal preference? Anybody grow both? Any pictures? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Bearded Iris vs. Dutch Iris

• Posted by kprp 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 16:25

In my experience (I'm in zone 6) most TB irises increase.

Dutch iris do not, and the Dutch iris peter out after a while. But they are lovely little things and are not expensive.

You can have both, why choose one over the other?

o

You can find Lots of TB pics at Snowpeak (hot link below) and to see Dutch iris, which grow from bulbs, do a google image search.

I have heard zone 6 is too cold for Dutch iris to naturalize as kprp says.

As for differences, Dutch iris take less space, are shorter and are wonderful cut flowers for mixed spring bouquets. TBs form much larger clumps, are much taller and aren't too great for bouquets. One stem is quite dramatic but make sure it isn't one that 'drips' after cutting.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.snowpeakiris.com/newweb/navpage.htm

o

I have bought Dutch irises twice that I can remember. They do not multiply and in fact dwindle, and this year what few bulbs are left only sent up foliage...the same as last year. I'll not buy any more of those for sure.

Sue

o

Don't want dwindlers. Thank you.

o

I am sorry someone else has had the same experience with dutch iris that I have had. I thought I had done something wrong with them.
Mine were gorgeous the first year and then nothing but foliage the 2nd year. it wouldn't be so bad if they would reproduce so that you would have flowers for more than 1 year.
Linda

o

I am going to try the Dutch Iris this fall. The experiences and success or failure with the Dutch Iris seem to be all over the place, nothing consistent. They are so beautiful that I simply have to try for myself. They don't cost much so really not much money ventured, simply time and effort to plant them.

o

My dutch iris were beautiful this year. Rita, they aactually bloomed before the tulips did. I hope to have another flush of them, but it may get too hot. The grower sent my order a second time when the Dutch iris were almost bloomed out, so I planted them "just in case" $15 for 40 was cheap enough to risk.

greenhouse
kay

o

Oh, I love them. The dutch Iris were not something I even knew about until this spring. Someplace I was looking at iris (long before I bought any) had a picture of Dutch Iris and I thought to myself, I wonder what they are. I couldn't believe how beautiful they are.

o

Rita,
I love the too. of course, the early bloom is good too.
kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here