Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nc_notary

iris question (pics included) I hope I got it right!

Cindy Lloyd
12 years ago

I have some Iris' that someone gave me last summer, put them in the ground and magically come Spring, they bloomed! Gorgeous deep purple and HUGE! I already had some by my back door and since they were here for a while, I just left them. They're paler (maybe blue?) and not as big. Can anyone tell me if there's a difference in the two? And one more question, the third picture is of Iris'(?) that I was given, it was already in the pot, so I left it, is this an Iris? Sorry if the images are big, still haven't gotten the hang of re-sizing them. Thanks for all of your help!

Comments (12)

• Cindy Lloyd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These pictures really do not do the larger purple Iris' justice. The blooms are as big as a grapefruit and the blue ones are much smaller, almost the size of a lemon or lime. Not much of a comparison, I know, but maybe it'll help with the visualization.

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

The only difference would be they are different cultivars. Probably all three are Tall Beardeds (taller than 27.5 inches).

The 3rd photo of the bud looks like it will be a a color pattern called plicata.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Very pretty! I like the blue and the purple together. Yes, all of them are bearded irises, as irisgal said. It looks like you have a big surprise ready to open this week in the last photo.
    Renee

• Cindy Lloyd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for following up on my Iris' pics. I'm definitely new at this and to have some bloom first Spring after planting them and to be so BIG, well that just fascinates and tickles me! I wanted to post a follow up to my pictures. Those other pictures were taken yesterday and when I went outside at 6:00am today (EST), I had the most beautiful surprise waiting to greet me on my front stoop (porch), see for yourself....

• ripley529
    12 years ago

Love the ruffles, nice surprise :)

• Cindy Lloyd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'ripley529' Yes, it was a wonderful surprise. These pictures certainly don't do this gorgeous flower its justice. It is simply beautiful.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Very Pretty. I love them all since I am partial to purple.
    kay

• Cindy Lloyd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'organic_kitten' I feel very blessed to have been able to experience the beauty that someone else felt I deserved from their garden. I definitely plan on dividing them and filling any bare areas with them so next Spring will hopefully be even more beautiful for me.

• irisrover
    12 years ago

Pretty sure the big purple is Wm. Satchell a 1938 introduction; The blue could be one of several introduced in this time frame or more likely in the 1940's. It has many of the characteristics of Blue Rhythm. The plicata is fairly recent, The open standands and lacing would suggest, Charleston.

• Cindy Lloyd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'irisrover' so this is my understanding... you're saying these are an "heirloom" type of thing? Sorry about the analogy if it's incorrect, I'm used to veggies, not flowers...LOL If so, that makes me even more anxious to try and keep them going so I can hand them down to my daughter. What a treasure. Thank you for the info!

• irisrover
    12 years ago

Yes heirloom, called historic in iris circles. Wm. Satchell is commonly grown in California. In fact saw it in an Easter bouquet Sat. HIPS is the iris group dedicated to saving and spreading the word on "old" iris. BTW, Historic is defined as introduced 30 years or more; i.e., 1981 or earlier.

• Cindy Lloyd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'irisrover' thank you ever so much for all of the information that you've given me. These are the first Iris' that I have ever attempted to plant or grow, so I let them do what they did and you see the results so far. I am a little more informed now, so next year may be even more rewarding, I hope! Again, thank you so much, the info is greatly needed and much appreciated!

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator