Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Japanese Iris growing ideas

Posted by mary4b 4b WI (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 14:11

Greetings,
I received 1 start of a Japanese Iris from my mother before she died...that was in 1999. I've only seen this iris bloom once or twice, but it has stayed alive...believe it or not, under the dappled shade of a Maple Tree. I have since learned that gardening under a Maple Tree is a difficult endeavor, to say the least!

I don't think I really have the right location to grow this Japanese Iris. I don't have a pond or stream, and if I could put it near the downspout, it wouldn't get enough sun.

I don't want to give it away, it had a ethereally beautiful bloom, I think she picked this out from Ensata, or maybe AnnaMae knows what she had.

So, what can I do creatively to bring this beauty back to bloom? Right now, I have it all dug up, soaking in a 5 gallon tub of water, I have go get it out of there, as I think some of the tops are fully submerged, I'll drain it today and get it into something better....

Can you help me design something? In the ground, or in a pot/mini fountain? I don't want to spend more than $40 on the project. I have full sun in some places, plenty of dappled sun, and plenty of concrete near water sources for pots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Japanese Iris growing ideas

Are you looking for creative design ideas or a survival plan? I can only offer the latter.

I found two potted Japanese Iris at a local garden center last May. The plants were small and the foliage was flopped. They were planted in full sun, heavily mulched and received lots of rain. Surprisingly, they bloomed quite well in early summer.

It is important to add that the soil here is acidic and in good shape from years of mulching. They look great this spring and have easily doubled in size.

My conclusion is that JI don't need a bog to thrive. They do need moist acid soil, full sun and mulch.

I recommend you but a bale of peat moss and prepare a bed in full sun. Mulch heavily and don't let the soil dry out.

Photobucket

o
RE: Need Japanese Iris growing ideas

If you have a spot in full sun that you can run a drip line to, you can keep the dripper on super super low all of the time to keep the soil/peat moss moist. I like the look of very large upright rocks with Japanese iris.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here