Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyjay_gw

Bitten by the Iris bug...again this year!

sunnyjay
12 years ago

After just putting in 2 orders for daylilies, I decided to put in an order for irises as well! One can never have too many flowers!!! (I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone in here that though do I???....haha) I have a raised bed that I use for vegetables but half of it is going to my new flowers this year. Who needs to eat right? LOL

Here's what I ordered: (the lady I order from has a limited supply so I may not get every single one but even if I get half, I'll still be a happy camper!)

1) Edith Wolford

2) Wish Upon a Star

3) Flavescens

4) In Love Again

5) French Can-Can

6) In Town

7) Alpenview

8) Autumn Maple

9) Batik

1. Lightshine
  2. Pippi Longstockings
  3. Silverado
  4. Olympiad
  5. Swingtown
  6. Debrenee
  7. Superstition
  8. Block Party
  9. Daughter of Stars
  10. Diversion
  11. Go For Bold
  12. Royal Overtime
  13. Aqua Taj
  14. Classic Sunrise
  15. Balancing Act

Does anyone have any of these? If so, I'd like to hear about your experince with them.

Jason

Comments (7)

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Let me see, I have Edith Wolford, Silverado, Superstition, & Daughter of Stars. All good and dependable bloomers, very good growers. Of the 4, Daughter of Stars may be my favorite, lovely flower & good rebloomer in my area. Of course, it all depends on what is in flower at the moment & I can change my mind tomorrow :) Certainly can't go wrong with these. Oh, I have Batik too. Anytime I move it, it takes a while to get situated & bloom again. It was 3 years before it bloomed the first time, bloomed every year after that til I moved it & took 2 years then. Maybe it will be better in your zone.

• sunnyjay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ngraham: Thanks for the info. I have wanted Edith Wolford for a long time. I just like the colours of it. I have Daughter of Stars already but it didn't winter well so I ordered another just in case the one I have doesn't make it. At my last house I had Batik and had bad luck with it. I think I had it burried too deep in soil that was too wet. Half of the plant rotted and I had to pick the good parts off and replant it. I moved before I got to see if it was going to come back for me or not. Now I only plant my irises in a raised bed (I have 2) as I find the rhizomes seem to not be as prone to rot that way. So far, so good. I have also learned over time that the shallower I plant them, the dryer the rhizomes stay. Trial and error I guess. I'm always learning something new about gardening and trying to apply it to what I have.
    Jason

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I have seen Olympiad and it is really pretty. I grew Silverado and it did well, but with the colors in my garden it always looked gray. Be careful with where you plant it.

I plant the rhizomes on a small hill and with the top half exposed, and I still get a little bit of rot occasionally.

It sounds like you chose some real beauties.

Renee

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Pippi Longstockings is one of the greatest looking SDB I've seen. If we could grow dwarfs she would be top of my list. Hope you get her.

• sunnyjay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well the lady I order from had a problem with one of her host gardeners so unfortunately most of what I wanted is not available so I had to shorten my list and change some picks. Here is my actual order of what will be coming:

1)French Can-Can
    2)Lightshine
    3)Daughter of Stars
    4)Diversion
    5)Aqua Taj
    6)Ask Alma
    7)Blessed Again
    8)Eramosa Skies
    9)Introspection
    10)Mother Earth
    11)Preference
    12)Summoned Spirit

Anyone familiar/have these?
    Jason

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

You know, They are all so pretty you are bound to be happy. Edith Wolford is a late bloomer for me. I don''t know how much I have, because she hasn't bloomed yet, but if I have it, I'll send you a start if you like.
    kay

• sunnyjay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're right Kay, even though it's not as many and not all of my original picks, I am still happy! I've also sent you an email.
    Jason