Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Stalks, Stalks, Stalks. Blooms coming soon!

newyorkrita
12 years ago

I don't remember stalks appearing this early before but my Tall Bearded are loaded with stalks coming up now.

This one is not too far from blooming-

Meantime the mid backyard iris bed really looks great this year. This will be the second year it blooms and it has really filled in after getting a slow start.

The front yard iris corner bed is looking full also in spite of the fact that I dig and divided all these iris last summer.

And the Dutch Iris should start blooming very soon!

Comments (9)

• Nancy
    12 years ago

It won't be long now! I know I have mentioned this before, but how in the world do they figure the zones. They have changed me to zone 7, previously I was just zone 6, so I would think we would have very similar growing seasons. My iris are at peak, heading downward now. I'm seeing more scapes on daylilies every day, although it will be a while before I actually see bloom. Although with 80 degree temps this week, it may be sooner than I expect. My Dutch iris didn't even bloom this year, & made no pretense of trying. Maybe they need more cold weather? Last year I didn't get any bloom on my Dutch iris, Eye of the Tiger, they looked crowded, so I divided them. I was sure they would bloom this year. I don't know...when I planted it I think I started out with a dozen bulbs. There were at least 100 when I divided, all in one little clump. Maybe they need to grow. My yellow Dutch iris has been blooming for years, hasn't multiplied much, but didn't bloom this year either.

• mikesc
    12 years ago

Everyone is early this year! It's a great feeling to see those buds, isn't it?

Mike

• User
    12 years ago

It is such a treat to see your Iris as they bloom every day...I've been waiting impatiently since the last Iris picture, last year. :)
    Ann

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It really is early. I was thinking that I haven't even bought and planted my annuals here yet and still the iris are near ready to start blooming. Never before.

As to the Dutch Iris, I have some that are doing fabulously and I can see they will bloom, others sent out some feeble folliage and for sure will not be blooming and some are too crowded and need to be dug up after bloom season.

• booberry85
    12 years ago

Rita, I always love your pics! After the snow that started the week here, my irises are the hardiest looking things out there. These are all irises I got from a generous gardener here who was separating her clumps of irises. I can't wait to see them!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You must post pictures when yours bloom. Iris blooms are just so beautiful.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Anxiously waiting...

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Goanna be gorgeous at Rita's house.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, they are popping up stalks every where. And it is so early. But no blooms yet. Soon though, very soon.

That backyard iris garden pictured in the fifth pic was only planted in 2010. So last year was the first year it bloomed. And I was surprised that it did bloom as the iris planted in August of 2010 were small rhizomes and most by late fall were not growing or had hardly grown. I figgured lots would be dead come spring 2011. But while many ended up with rot, I did nothing and to my surprise many bloomed and all lived. Rot is gone and all are growing like crazy this year. But still, I was not happy with the bed taking off so slowely, I am used to the wonderful big iris I get from Schreiners and these were all from Mid America and Napa. Not that I have any room left for iris but if I did I would be buying from Schreiners and Rockytop again.

Sponsored