Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why all of these ID's

Posted by penelope Z6 KY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 15:30

It is becoming a full-time job. But, a labor of love! I'm trying to establish a historic Iris Display Garden. If I keep at this - maybe I'll be ready in ten years!!

Some of these Iris belonged to my grandmother, some to my mother, some to friends that are no longer with us.

The newest bed that I put in last fall is mostly full of ones that DH dug up over 13 years ago from an old house that they were tearing down. As the shade increased, these stopped blooming and I have no ideal what is going to open tomorrow - What fun!!

The hardest part is that they are located in three different places, about 10 miles apart. Plus all of the ones that friends have in their yards that I need to see.

Sometime I will post pictures of the ones that I have a probable ID on, as well as the new bed.

Thanks to all of you who have helped and continue to offer your support.

Penny in western KY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why all of these ID's

That sounds like a fun project. Mr. Toad is doing something similar. His grandmother had an iris farm, and he inherited many of her irises, and recovered others from neighbors who had bought from her. He had her order forms from way back, so he had the names and just had to match them with the irises. Good luck with your project- it sounds like you will become an expert on historic irises.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here